Questions about iPad's Files app

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by iRaynor SK, Aug 11, 2017.

1. iRaynor SK macrumors 6502

iRaynor SK

Hello,

In iOS 11 on iPad is new app called Files. I'm asking about "On my iPad" section as shown on screenshot. It looks like Pages, Numbers and Keynote from Apple are supported.

Developers must use new API to get support for Files app? And how appeared "Transmit" there?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I'm curious about the files app too. Specifically, I'm curious if it supports third party services. I see Dropbox listed there, but what about Microsoft OneDrive and FTP/SFTP? Those are the two I use and currently use Documents by Readdle for my file manager. I'm wondering if the Files App will replace Documents for my uses.

3. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

Not if you need to zip/unzip files or local storage, but files and Documents will probably be able to integrate to some extent

4. one more macrumors 6502a

one more

I think the idea is that we should be able to save whatever we want into Files (both local & cloud versions). Those Pages & Numbers folders are there for a convenience sake, as they are normally allowed to store data on iCloud. We can already save images from Safari into Files & WhatsApp now supports attaching documents (not just images) from Files. As time goes by, more & more apps should be able to tap into it, hopefully.

5. davidholliday macrumors newbie

Files works fine with OneDrive. I'm hoping that Adobe CC will be supported at some point as well.

6. MartinAppleGuy, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017

MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Can you make custom folders on the my iPad section for local file management?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 12, 2017 ---
    I went and searched for the sync app you have and it looks like all of my dreams came true haha So does it mean I can save a file to it, and those files save on my iMac, and then they could be backed up by my time machine?

Also is it free to use?