All iPads Questions about iPads

Discussion in 'iPad' started by denisbarbov, Feb 23, 2014.

1. denisbarbov macrumors member

Hey guys,

I am about to take a tablet next month and I have put an eye on the ipad mini with retina or the ipad air.

There are a few questions I would like to ask about iPads.

1. Is there any way to get rid of the black bars while watching movies? Is there a way to stretch the video to full screen without cutting part of the image? Like some other tablets do. Like watching with another player. Also can .mkv movies be watched with cyrillic subtitles?

2. Is the difference between the colour reproduction noticeable?

3. Are there any problems with syncing the device with windows 8.1?

4. Do you think the iPad mini retina/Air is better than the galaxy tab pro 8.4/10.1 for mixed use?

5. How is the battery life? Share your experiences. :)

Thanks in advance. :)

PS: I am a first time iPad user so I don't really know about iOS. :D

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

1) If there are black bars try going to full screen. Keep in mind that the iPad uses a 4:3 aspect ratio. HD movies are 720 or 1080P. That's why the black bars are not visible.

2) I've owned a rMini and yes there is a noticeable difference in color gamut between the two. The Air has better colors at least that's my opinion.

3) No syncing problems for me wrt to Windows 8.1, make sure you are on the latest version of iTunes.

4) Debatable. The new Galaxy Pro's have higher resolution and the specs are just plain nasty. If you like Android, then the Galaxy line is a no brainer.

5) Battery life depends how you use your device. The rMini has very good battery life in the 10-14 hr range, depends what you are doing with it. My iPad 2 just gave me 18.5 hours of use and over 8 days of standby time. Your mileage will vary.

3. denisbarbov thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, and how about the charging time? How long does it take over usb and over wall plug? How is the battery life with video watching and some web browsing? And last can it play subtitles through a hdmi cable if at all and how is the quality over the adapter? Sorry for the million questions.

4. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

charging time will take an hour or two, id suggest just plugging it in over night and forgetting about it. videos will be probably 9-10 hours and web browsing 10-11 hours.

I am not sure on the subtitles and i use mine for airplay with apple tv and everything is shown over that. Not sure with an adapter though.