Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
The microphone and receiver (?) on my iPhone 6S Plus died while I was on a trip interviewing people.

I am looking at buying an iPhone 11 Pro Max, and was hoping the gurus here at MacRumors could share their thoughts before I pull the trigger - hopefully like in a few hours.

I hate cell phones and my entire need for this new iPhone would be: a.) SHoot photos, b.) Shoot video interviews, c.) Use as a mobile hotspot.

It sounds like the iPhone 11 Pro Max has the best camera/lens out there, and that it would be a big step forward as far as shooting photos and video. (I'm not sure if the microphones are any better or more reliable tha my iPhone 6S Plus??)

Would really appreciate hearing people chome in, and sharing advice about this newer phone, and tips on getting the best experience and also avoiding any "gotchas"...

Thanks!!

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Hi Texas.

Since you are not planning to use the iPhone as a Phone, I am wondering if a dedicated camera may be a better idea. I was looking at the Sony ZV-1 Vlog camera. There are a number of reviews that compare it to the iPhone 11 Pro. The video quality is comparable to the iPhone and better in low light. The Microphone system is set up to capture audio directly in front and better than the iPhone. The only area that the iPhone is better is image stabilisation.

The Sony is around $700 so would be lot less expensive that the iPhone.
Also the Sony has removable media so you can buy some additional cards for your interviews.

You can use your existing 6s as a mobile hotspot.

Reactions: Texas_Toast

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
Hi Texas.

Since you are not planning to use the iPhone as a Phone, I am wondering if a dedicated camera may be a better idea. I was looking at the Sony ZV-1 Vlog camera. There are a number of reviews that compare it to the iPhone 11 Pro. The video quality is comparable to the iPhone and better in low light. The Microphone system is set up to capture audio directly in front and better than the iPhone. The only area that the iPhone is better is image stabilisation.

The Sony is around $700 so would be lot less expensive that the iPhone.
Also the Sony has removable media so you can buy some additional cards for your interviews.

You can use your existing 6s as a mobile hotspot.

@James Craner,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think because of time constraints - I know how to use an iPhone and not video cameras - I'll likely go with an iPhone 11 Pro Max, but your suggestion is valid.

Another thing is the mobility of any ihone - its always in my pocket and read to shoot. (Also doesn't draw as much attention...)

As far as my damaged iPhone, one silver lining is that I can still use it to shoot video - at least for now. So I was thinking last night that I could get another tripod, and in non man-on-the-street interview situations, now I can get more advanced and have two cameras to interview people. (Since I have a pro shotgun mic and use my Zoom H6, it won't matter that the microphone is out on my iPhone 6S Plus.)

Thanks as always!

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019
I would honestly wait as the iPhone 12 is right around the corner and will have a better camera then the iPhone 11 Pro line

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
I would honestly wait as the iPhone 12 is right around the corner and will have a better camera then the iPhone 11 Pro line

Normally I would, but I was in the middle of interviewing people before the election, and I don't have time to wait even a week for an iPhone 12.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
If you’ve been OK with the video and sound of a 6s, why not just get a 7 or 8 to hold you over and get the 12 pro/Max when it comes out? you can then sell the 7/8.

of course, a decent camera and mic is much better. zv-1, a7c are great depending on budget.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
If you’ve been OK with the video and sound of a 6s, why not just get a 7 or 8 to hold you over and get the 12 pro/Max when it comes out? you can then sell the 7/8.

Interesting suggestion.

of course, a decent camera and mic is much better. zv-1, a7c are great depending on budget.

What are those? Traditional video cameras?

I guess the answer is that I just lost AT LEAST 3 weeks of video about the pandemic and elections and the elections are in 3 weeks.

So I need the best camera I can get NOW, and I figure an iPhone 11 Pro Max is the way to satisfy that requirement AND have a great camera/videocamera for some time.

In an ideal world I could wait for the iPhone 12, but even if they were avail able next Tuesday, there are almost always hiccups in things, and I don't have time for that.

Just my thoughts...

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I’ve had the 11 Pro Max since April of this year and it’s been great for me so far. The camera is great, the audio quality is great ... I don’t really have any complaints on this phone, in my experience. I got the 11 Pro Max knowing a newer phone was going to be released at the end of the year, but I couldn’t wait that long (I wanted to switch from a Note 9 to an iPhone and was pondering about this for months before I bit the bullet and bought my 11 Pro Max). I feel like if you need a phone now, the 11 Pro Max is a great phone and it will last you for what you need it for.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
Up to you of course, but yeah those are Sony still/hybrid cameras, one is a point and shoot with a larger sensor targeted towards vloggers and the other is a full frame mirrorless full frame interchangeable lens camera (best picture quality and autofocus).

They’re not hard to use in automatic settings, I’d suggest YouTubing a couple of videos about them before making a choice.

Reactions: Texas_Toast
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.