Questions about iPhone 4 and GPS apps

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by GreatOne08, Jul 15, 2010.

1. GreatOne08 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I have just received my iPhone 4 and would like to purchase a GPS apps. I have a couple questions for my fellow forum members.

1. Does the GPS apps uses wifi or 3G to pinpoint your location? Say if I use the GPS app for a trip, will it use up my 250MB 3G data?

2. Which is the best GPS apps out there and why?

3. Compared to standalone GPS systems, how well does the iPhone4+GPS apps perform?

Thank you for your help

2. dangson macrumors newbie

1. It uses the GPS receiver in the iPhone to determine the location. Maps are also stored on the map so there's no need for 3G or wifi. (This is why the apps are over 1 GB in size.)

2. Plenty of reviews out there. Just google.

Here is comparison of all the big apps:
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/09/iphone-navigation-shootout/

I personally like TomTom's app because it looks the best. Navigon seems to have been point of interest searching, though.

3. I don't think the iPhone works as well as a regular GPS unit. The main issue is that it kills the battery very quickly so you don't want to use this on a road trip without plugging it in. Another thing is the reception isn't very good. Most of the time when I launch TomTom (on a 3GS) it'll say the signal is weak and take a long time to figure out where I am. It even gets it wrong occasionally.

However, having something in your pocket all the time for emergencies isn't a bad idea.

3. GreatOne08 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the reply, you have been very helpful. I have a follow up question for you.

I am leaning towards the Tom Tom app, but the weak signal issue gives me concerns. I read somewhere that the Tom Tom car kit alleviates the weak signal issue. Do you or anyone else have any insight into this?

Thanks

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

There isn't a weak gps signal on the ip4. Signal lock and hold is very quick!

I use navigon as it's better value for money. None of this yearly subscription crap tom-tom does.

5. GreatOne08 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I've been looking at navigon and it has garnered some very good reviews. What type of accessories did you purchase for your car?

Thanks

6. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

I have been using Tom Tom and it seems to do a decent job. I just purchased a $19 window mount for it from Best Buy and this works well versus the $100 TomTom car kit. It needs to be close to the windshield from my experience because if I just lay my phone on the seat or console it causes poor GPS reception. Since I mounted it on the windshield I no longer have this issue.

7. dangson macrumors newbie

Yup, the car kit does improve the signal. I don't think your iPhone 4 will fit in it though. From what Gav2k says, maybe Apple has improved the GPS receiver in the new iPhone so you won't have to worry about that part.

8. Rocs macrumors member

I have the Navigon app and love it.. It locks a lot quicker now with IP4 than it did with my 3GS. I also love the 3 route option view on screen to choose as well as the in app purchase of realtime traffic data.. Get the navigon you won't be sorry... Btw I use mine in Houston tx...