questions about iphone purchse

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AlexQQQ, Mar 8, 2014.

1. AlexQQQ macrumors member

Just some questions about iphones.

I have never had a smartphone and only have a pay as you go phone (somewhat of a luddite i am...I do have a macbook pro and very happy with it). I would like to purchase an iphone or an android phone but don't want the monthly contract with data plan.

Anyways, am looking into an unlocked iphone but i don't know differences in version or what is an appropriate amount to pay (the android phones are even more confusing to me).

My usage is mainly to use as a phone/text with some (light) web browsing and skype (more often over wifi rather than phone networks).

My budget for said phone would be around $200-300 (hoping for new or newish phone, maybe unrealistic?). Went to amazon.com but the versions and prices were all over the place and could not get a good handle on what is considered fair value or which version would be appropriate for me or how soon they would be not useful.

Anyways, thank you in advance and hoping snickering would be kept to minimal.

Alex
    p.s.-basically the question is which phone would you recommend to fit my criteria. Thank you again.

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

the cheapest unlocked iPhone from Apple is the iPhone 4s, which was released in 2011. It's 449.

Check swappa.com. You can find used and new phones for cheaper there.

You can also pay 179 for the Moto G which is an unlocked Android smartphone. It's a hell of a phone.

3. AlexQQQ thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the suggestion of moto G. Plan on purchasing it tomorrow.

Alex

4. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I'd check Swappa if you wish to stay in the Apple Eco-System. I have only heard good things about Swappa.

Which carrier are you planning to use?

5. AlexQQQ thread starter macrumors member

I use AT&T.

Just bought a MotoG.

Can't afford/justify an iphone purchase. Rather have new than used. Not nearly as pretty as iphone, oh well.