Questions about iPhone

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Texas_Toast, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Texas_Toast macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

I am trying to learn how to program a website to send text messages to mobile devices.

Problem is that I have never owned a mobile device, because I use my laptop as my phone.

I don't want to spend tons of money on a phone and a cellular contract, because I won't use it to call people, and if I am unable to make this "texting from website" something that people will pay me to do, then I want to minimize my losses.

While I could probably do this on a disposable phone, it seems to me that if I whipped out a shiny iPhone in front of a new potential client, and could show them how text messages would improve their website, it might WOW them enough to hire me.

Does that make sense?

I did look into Cricket back in June, and as I recall they had a plan that was only $30/month, which isn't too bad. But I would still need an iPhone.

So that leads me to this...

1.) Am I going about this the right way?

2.) Is getting an iPhone for "demo purposes" a good investment?

3.) If so, what is the most affordable and practical way to achieve what I want?

4.) Any other wisdom you care to share on this business endeavor?

:confused:

2. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

If you're using it for business purposes, talk to a CPA about writing off the expense on your taxes. That might help with some of the cost.

The bottom line (and I believe I contributed in that previous thread) is that in order to properly show off the site feature you NEED to have a mobile device with texting. You can emulate it, but the emulation might not show it off in the way you want it to (and might be difficult to set up on the programming side).

3. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

My issue is lack of $$$, not taxes. ;)

I'm not concerned about programming something that works, but I figure people will take me more seriously if I can whip out a sleek iPhone, and show off receiving a text message from the website.

And this leads me back to my main question in this thread...

What is the most affordable way to do this and get the end result I want?

Paying $1,000 for the latest iPhone isn't practical.

I think if I buy a $30/month plan with Cricket, and I can get an unlocked iPhone, that would work. But which iPhone should I get? Do I buy a brand new iPhone from Apple? Do I take a risk of buying on off of eBay?

I have no clue what I should do, or even if this makes good use of my very limited money...

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Who's texting whom? Is it a one way text? To just one phone number?

You could, for instance, set up a contact page that will send an email to a main account and have that email forward to an email address associated with an cellphone's SMS (a la 10digitphonenumber@txt.att.net). Depending on the main account and its limitations, you might be able to broadcast a text to multiple numbers.

5. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

I am trying to do things...

First, trying to show people why it is important that their website works on a mobile device. Now, I don't need an iPhone to do dev or test, but doing a demo of a "mobile-friendly" website would make more sense on an iPhone so they can envision how it would look and work.

Second, to show businesses how handy it would be if their website would send a text message to customers (e.g. to pick up a tailored suit). Now, I don't need an iPhone for that, but since I do need one for the point above, I could use it for this point too.

So is there a way that I can get a reliable iPhone on the cheap?

I might be willing to pay $500-600, but I would hope to get a fairly modern, in good condition, LEGAL, and unlocked iPhone so I could hook it up to a play I would buy from Cricket.

In the end, I would like an iPhone to demo websites and to demo text messaging features.

Is that possible?

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

At the very least you could get a used or maybe reburbished iPhone 5S. It's 64-bit architecture makes it the oldest iPhone to be "up to date".

But...really any decent Android phone would provide just as adequate a demonstration.

7. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

Where would you recommend I buy a phone? From Apple? eBay?

Are there any risks of buying on eBay as far as it being stolen or locked or whatever?

How much would an Android cost?

Also, what size do you think I need to make my demo look good? (I have never owned a smart phone so I have no clue about any of this!) :)

8. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Go to the Bestbuy website. Look at Cellphones>Unlocked Cellphones. Read the reviews. Much more info there and in similar places (Amazon) than you're going to get in a thread like this.

9. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

You can get a Nexus 5x 16 GB for $200 when you sign up for Google Fi. Google Fi is a US MVNO (like Cricket) that runs on T-Mobile, Sprint and US Cellular towers. Service is $20/month if you use zero data, $30/month when you include 1 GB of data, and you get bill credit for unused data. Those service costs include unlimited calling and texting. My last few months have averaged around $28 when taxes are figured in. The best part - you're not tied to that carrier, if it doesn't work out for you you can just cancel and go to ANY other carrier and bring the phone with you.

You can also get Blu devices from Amazon for much less but those don't have the radios to support additional networks like the Nexus 5X has, the Blu devices will work on AT&T or any carrier that runs on their network so if AT&T isn't great in your area, they won't work for you.

10. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

Could I run an iPhone on the Google Fi network?

How do you buy a Google Fi plan?

11. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Google's your friend, don't be afraid to use it every so often: https://fi.google.com/about/faq/

12. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

What does this mean...
    To me that says that you can only use your phone to text with others if they are set up in Google Hangouts?

I just need an affordable smartphone where I can a.) Demo a responsive website, b.) Demo the smartphone receiving a text messages from a website that I build and host on my server.

13. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

It COULD be done, you don't get all of the benefits of the service (network switching) and there are reports, though old, of people having service terminated for not having the primary voice/data SIM in a supported device.

As for how to get it, @ApolloBoy has you covered...

I text with iPhone people without issue. I use Hangouts as my texting app which allows me to set up the integration feature which allows me to use my phone, tablet or any browser signed in to my Google account to send and receive text messages. The recipient does NOT need to be using Hangouts.

Why MUST it be an iPhone? The Nexus 5x is a VERY capable phone for the purpose that you intend to use it, it meets the "affordable" part of the criteria when bought with Fi service and is only a year old, while running the current version of Android (which is very nice, I have it on my Nexus 6p). The Nexus 5x will also work on a service that is affordable from a cost standpoint, provided at least one of those 3 networks has decent service in your area.

14. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

Pardon all of my uninformed questions.

So Google Hangouts is just a way to centralize text messages? It almost sounds like have web-mail versus POP3.

All I need is a way to receive a text message from a website that I develop and host on my webserver. I won't be texting people. Just need a proof-of-concept to show potential customers.

It probably doesn't. I just figured it would look sexy to do a demo on an iPhone. Thought maybe people would take me more seriously, or possibly see me as more advanced.

(Would you be more impressed in a lawyer pulled up in a Toyota or a BMW?)

I dunno. Just grabbing at strings here trying to better improve my financial situation.

15. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

When you ask for affordable, you get a Toyota.

The marketing people at Apple have done their job if

Is the reason to buy an iPhone.

Yes, Hangouts basically centralizes texting and regular Hangouts messaging, and with Google Fi and text integration it allows you to use ANY device that is signed in to Hangouts on your Google account to send and receive test messages. I usually have my tablet out at work, between that, my phone and the Chrome tab signed in to my Gmail account, I sound SUPER popular when I get a single message (3 notifications). When I get a call, all 3 devices ring.

My suggestion? Buy the device that functions in the way you want it to and meets your financial goal (both device and plan cost). If you've never used a smartphone before, either device should be easy to get used to. I prefer Android, and I had an opportunity to use iOS at work for a while. If you're used to one, it can be difficult to get used to how some things are done in the other. The Nexus 5x is not a high end phone, but it can also say "smart" in several ways - it would be one of the most secure and updated Android devices so it shows you're concerned about security, it's low-budget, and if you get it with Google Fi you can demo the Hangouts text integration and show how you can respond to text messages from anywhere you have an internet connection even if you don't have your phone handy.

There are plenty of other devices out there that "look sexy" or might have people taking you more seriously than using a Nexus 5x, but they also cost more, A LOT more. What's that saying? Champagne tastes on a beer budget?

16. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

If I decided to go the iPhone route, what would be the best approach considering my needs? Obviously buying a brand new, tricked out iPhone 7 Plus wouldn't make sense!

Is there a version of iPhone that would make sense?

And if it is older than an iPhone 7, where should I buy it? (I didn't see any refurbished iPhones at all on Apple's website.)

Do I buy a new older iPhone from somewhere else?

Do I buy a refurbished older iPhone from somewhere else?

Do I buy a used iPhone from eBay?

Considering that I have never owned a smart phone, I would be a prime target to get screwed or swindled, so I definitely could use some thoughtful advice on making a purchase!!

Also, if I were to get an iPhone, I would pretty much want to use Cricket or an option where my telecom bill is not over $30/month and with NO CONTRACT!! (I don't need an iPhone to call or text people, only something to demo responsive websites and to receive text messages from a website, e.g. "You pizza is ready for pickup!" or "Your passcode is...")

Thanks!!!

17. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

To match the value of the Nexus 5x (I keep using that as it's a quality device that can be had for $200 especially since you don't have an existing plan), you'd be looking at an iPhone 5S. That also happens to be the oldest device you can put iOS10 on so iOS11 isn't a definite next year. I'm basing the price on swappa.com which is a pretty popular site for buying used devices. The iPhone 5s starts at around $200 for a 16 GB version that would work on Cricket, and that's a USED device.

18. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

I could stomach $200 for a used iPhone.

The question is which version would be the best, i.e. would there be a benefit of getting an iPhone 5 Plus or an iPhone 6 or an iPhone 6 Plus?

Your response seems to imply that a used iPhone 5 should do the trick for me?

Any one else have thoughts on this?