Questions about iPhoto's Places feature

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lsquare, Jan 12, 2014.

1. lsquare macrumors 6502

Even on a 27" iMac, I notice that I can't zoom out completely and show all 7 continents on the screen. Is there a way to get the entire world map to be displayed?

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I would suggest that screen size has nothing to do with it. I can zoom out to see the entire world. iPhoto09 in Mountain Lion.

3. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

Really? I zoom all the way out and still parts of the continent is covered and I have to scroll to see the portion that's not shown on the screen.

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

5. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

So you zoomed out by using that slider and I'm assuming you're running at your screen's native resolution? I still can't figure out how you did this.

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

No, I didn't. I used two fingers on the trackpad, however, using the slider gets me to here:
    [​IMG]

And yes, I'm using the MacBooks native resolution.

7. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

For what it's worth, I'm in the same boat as Dave. I cannot zoom out to see all continents. I'm on a rMBP 15" in native resolution.

Maybe it has to do with how widespread your tags are? Mine are all in the US so maybe that's key to the zoom level?

8. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Mine are all in the UK.

9. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

Scott, don't you mean me since it's only Dave that can see all the continents?

I notice something odd from Dave's screenshot. Is it possible to minimize the left pane where it shows places and faces so that the map expand and show more?

If it helps, most of my tags are in the US, Western Europe, and East Asia (China, South Korea, Japan, and plenty of other East Asian countries).

----------

Well, the UK is like 10 times smaller than the US. Scott may be on to something here. I think that might explain why you and I are getting different results.

10. Victor Star macrumors member

When I had Mountain Lion I could zoom out like Dave. Now on Mavericks I only see the US when zoomed all the way out.

What OS are you on lsquare?

11. robgendreau, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014

robgendreau macrumors 68030

Odd. I can zoom out and see only so much, not all of the world.

The other thing I just noticed is that all my country names are in their native language and script, but I notice other's aren't. How do I change that??

EDIT: figured it out, the pref is in Apple Maps under View>Labels>Always Show in English.

And I also discovered that the zoom out only goes as far as iPhoto's; seems to be an Apple Maps thing which would explain why ML is different. And I hate Apple Maps...wish I could use Google.

[​IMG]

12. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

Mavericks.

----------

Rob, I'm not sure if I completely understand you or not, but are you experiencing the same thing as me?

13. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

My left pane hasn't been minimized. I just didn't include it in the screenshot.

I'm on ML. Not tried it in Mavericks yet.

14. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Yes; what you see is the farthest out I can zoom. And that is the farthest out in Apple Maps you can zoom, which is what iPhoto (and Aperture) use to display places.

It's Yet Another good reason to switch to Lightroom, which uses Google mapping. Here's what it looks like in LR 5:

[​IMG]

15. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Just tried it in Mavericks, and I can still zoom all the way out as before. However, I'm using iPhoto 09(v8). Perhaps that has something to do with it.

16. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

Did you snapped that picture with LR5 in full screen mode?

I actually like how Apple display geotag photos with those red pins. I find Adobe's approach to be less visually appealing.

----------

That probably explains it...Is there a reason why you're still using iPhoto 9? Is it easy to go back to the previous version of iPhoto?

17. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Yep, I'm with you. I typed the wrong name. Looks like you figured it out: iPhoto 09. I'm on Mavericks by the way with iPhoto 9.5.1.

18. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yes, there were quite a few problems with the next version when it came out, so I stayed with v9. It's fine for me.

19. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

20. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

No one knows?

21. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

22. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502