Questions about iPhoto's Places feature

lsquare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Even on a 27" iMac, I notice that I can't zoom out completely and show all 7 continents on the screen. Is there a way to get the entire world map to be displayed?

lsquare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
I would suggest that screen size has nothing to do with it. I can zoom out to see the entire world. iPhoto09 in Mountain Lion.
Really? I zoom all the way out and still parts of the continent is covered and I have to scroll to see the portion that's not shown on the screen.

Comment

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
For what it's worth, I'm in the same boat as Dave. I cannot zoom out to see all continents. I'm on a rMBP 15" in native resolution.

Maybe it has to do with how widespread your tags are? Mine are all in the US so maybe that's key to the zoom level?

Comment

lsquare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
For what it's worth, I'm in the same boat as Dave. I cannot zoom out to see all continents. I'm on a rMBP 15" in native resolution.

Maybe it has to do with how widespread your tags are? Mine are all in the US so maybe that's key to the zoom level?
Scott, don't you mean me since it's only Dave that can see all the continents?

I notice something odd from Dave's screenshot. Is it possible to minimize the left pane where it shows places and faces so that the map expand and show more?

If it helps, most of my tags are in the US, Western Europe, and East Asia (China, South Korea, Japan, and plenty of other East Asian countries).

----------

Mine are all in the UK.
Well, the UK is like 10 times smaller than the US. Scott may be on to something here. I think that might explain why you and I are getting different results.

Comment

Victor Star

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
When I had Mountain Lion I could zoom out like Dave. Now on Mavericks I only see the US when zoomed all the way out.

What OS are you on lsquare?

Comment

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Odd. I can zoom out and see only so much, not all of the world.

The other thing I just noticed is that all my country names are in their native language and script, but I notice other's aren't. How do I change that??

EDIT: figured it out, the pref is in Apple Maps under View>Labels>Always Show in English.

And I also discovered that the zoom out only goes as far as iPhoto's; seems to be an Apple Maps thing which would explain why ML is different. And I hate Apple Maps...wish I could use Google.

https://forums.macrumors.com/picture.php?albumid=1135&pictureid=3515

Last edited:
Comment

lsquare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
When I had Mountain Lion I could zoom out like Dave. Now on Mavericks I only see the US when zoomed all the way out.

What OS are you on lsquare?
Mavericks.

----------

Odd. I can zoom out and see only so much, not all of the world.

The other thing I just noticed is that all my country names are in their native language and script, but I notice other's aren't. How do I change that??

EDIT: figured it out, the pref is in Apple Maps under View>Labels>Always Show in English.

And I also discovered that the zoom out only goes as far as iPhoto's; seems to be an Apple Maps thing which would explain why ML is different. And I hate Apple Maps...wish I could use Google.

Rob, I'm not sure if I completely understand you or not, but are you experiencing the same thing as me?

Comment

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Is it possible to minimize the left pane where it shows places and faces so that the map expand and show more?
My left pane hasn't been minimized. I just didn't include it in the screenshot.

When I had Mountain Lion I could zoom out like Dave. Now on Mavericks
I'm on ML. Not tried it in Mavericks yet.

Comment

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Mavericks.

----------

Rob, I'm not sure if I completely understand you or not, but are you experiencing the same thing as me?
Yes; what you see is the farthest out I can zoom. And that is the farthest out in Apple Maps you can zoom, which is what iPhoto (and Aperture) use to display places.

It's Yet Another good reason to switch to Lightroom, which uses Google mapping. Here's what it looks like in LR 5:

https://forums.macrumors.com/picture.php?albumid=1135&pictureid=3518

Comment

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Just tried it in Mavericks, and I can still zoom all the way out as before. However, I'm using iPhoto 09(v8). Perhaps that has something to do with it.

Comment

lsquare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Yes; what you see is the farthest out I can zoom. And that is the farthest out in Apple Maps you can zoom, which is what iPhoto (and Aperture) use to display places.

It's Yet Another good reason to switch to Lightroom, which uses Google mapping. Here's what it looks like in LR 5:

Did you snapped that picture with LR5 in full screen mode?

I actually like how Apple display geotag photos with those red pins. I find Adobe's approach to be less visually appealing.

----------

Just tried it in Mavericks, and I can still zoom all the way out as before. However, I'm using iPhoto 09(v8). Perhaps that has something to do with it.
That probably explains it...Is there a reason why you're still using iPhoto 9? Is it easy to go back to the previous version of iPhoto?

Comment