Questions about ipt - wifi location, memory size, safari's capabilities etc

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by thekingg, May 26, 2008.

1. thekingg macrumors newbie

Hey,
    I'm highly considering getting a IPT, most likely the 8GB. I relatively unfamiliar with Apple but I'm pretty technologically adept so I should get used to a Touch quickly. The main attraction for me in an IPT is being able to use the internet. I spend a lot of time on it and it would be nice to use it on the go or just around the house. But I have a few questions that will help me with my decision when they are answered. I have done some research but excuse me if these answers are obvious.

1. How can I tell if wifi is available at any given location without having an IPT to detect it?
    2. How widely available is wifi? Can I find it many locations?
    3. How disappointed will I be if I buy the IPT mainly for internet use?
    4. If I have around 500 songs, how much video will I be able to put on an 8GB?

Thanks for all answers

2. sgtboy macrumors 6502

1) Well technically you are only legally allowed to connect to your personal wifi connection but the only way to check for signals is to go to Wifi settings and it will scan every 5-10 sec

2) Really depends on where you live

3)I basically did this and i am very happy, it is very functional

4)At an average of 3mb per song (which is kinda iffy), thats 1500mb roughly, so you'd still have considerable room for video

3. Switz213 macrumors 6502

I have wifi at and around my house (my own) and at my school and basically everywhere else I would use it. Driving in the car I don't really use it and you basically can't and anywhere else I may be, if residential or commercial, you can usually find at least one open network, but it really depends on where you live.

4. theking. macrumors newbie

thanks for the help guys. a couple more questions
    1. Are pretty much all headphones compatible with an IPT?
    2. Is there some kind of cord I can buy to plug a Touch into like a phone jack to get onto the internet if WiFi isn't available?

5. Switz213 macrumors 6502

1) I have never ran across any that didn't work (with any iPod).

2) No idea. I don't really see the need should the problem arise unless you really need the internet badly, but I use Sprint so no iPhone for me. I have a treo which is not broadband wireless, but if I need to look something up or check my email really quick, I can always take it out and use that.

6. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

You should be fine if you have only 500 songs, and want some video. A regular movie would be around 700 mb and a 40 minute tv show is about 270 mb. I bought an 8gb thinking that would be perfect for me because I only have about 530 songs also. But once you get some video on there the storage starts to dwindle. Now I don't have an ipod touch and am waiting for a 16gb iphone. Good luck though.

O and about the wifi thing, you should be fine, at least one of your neighbors gotta have some wifi right? Like someone else above stated, the only place where I really don't have wifi is in the car.

7. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

iPod touch is solely wifi. So you cannot plug a cord into it to connect to the internet.

8. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

You are allowed to connect to any WiFi connection that is specifically offered free, or pay for any that require payment to connect.

You can, but should not, connect to any private open signal that you encounter in your random travels. This can be construed as trespass or theft.

9. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

I didn't read all the posts, so don't kill me if someone already posted this.

But to answer your first question, you can buy a little wifi detector keychain gizmo that will tell you how strong the Wifi is in the area. I bought one at Wally World for $15.

Here is a link to it:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4994279

Hope that is what you're looking for!

10. nintendude macrumors 6502