questions about iweb and windows

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by oxiabit, Oct 2, 2008.

1. oxiabit macrumors newbie

Hi.
    I need a personel web site. but i dont know html or css very well. The iweb is really simple. I can do what i need. but i have 2 problem. The first, at the photos template, there is a part named slideshow. This is really nice but pictures seems very small size. Can i set these larger?

the second and most importent, when i publish my site to folder and try to open on windows, some objects aren't seem. like photos slideshows.

did i make a mistake or windows can't support iweb's features?

what can i do for this?

this is what i designed:http://img204.yukle.tc/images/19Picture_1.png

this is what i see on windows ie:http://img200.yukle.tc/images/3823Picture_2.png

i dont use any server on windows. Just drag the folder from mac to windows and open index.html.

p.s:sorry for weak english

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I'm going to make a guess (couldn't view the linked images, probably a problem on my side), but I'd say you can only view the site after uploading because there's likely file path references that can only be understood correctly when it's on the server. Can't confirm this though from images of it. The same thing would happen on a Mac except when in iWeb of course.

3. oxiabit thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much.
    For the first i also thought this. but couldn't be sure. Be cause if it was not supperted by windows , i wouldn't prepare my site anymore. it just would be time wasting. But now i understand that you say upload to a real server/host and try on it so you can see. don't you? if i'm wrong, correct me. Its like, PHP doesn't work on windows without any supporter programma like apache server. am i right?

by the way i can see links on my computer.

on the other hand i tried my folder on firefox(windows) and it works on it.

so is there any free host you can advice for trying my site?

and do you have any idea for my first question?
    p.s:sorry for weak English

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Correct, that's what I meant, and correct on the PHP aspect.

You're saying it works in Firefox, were you trying with Internet Explorer before when it wasn't working? You can find a free host if you Google for it. I don't know any off hand. Alternatively, you can download MAMP (Mac) or WAMPP (Windows), which will install a web server on your machine so you can put the folder there and view it and see what it would look like hosted. Though, since you said things worked on Firefox, this idea may not matter, but still worth knowing.

I don't use iWeb. I'm not really a fan of it either as I'm a hand-coder. I've only taken peeks at it, but I thought when you click on certain parts of the slide show it popped up a window that let you change certain aspects like the size, but I could be wrong. Edit: Actually, I just opened it up, like I said click on an image and a window should pop up. If you adjust the number of images per row then lower the spacing it will increase the image size.