Questions about iWork and Microsoft Office for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by writer85, Jun 16, 2009.

1. writer85 macrumors newbie

I'll be buying my first Mac sometime in the next month. I have been wondering about which software program would be iWork or MS Office for Mac. Please share any experiences or advice.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

iWork is the one that comes in a box marked "iWork". Microsoft Office, on the other hand, is labelled "Office:Mac".

Not to be an ass, but which one you should choose depends entirely on your needs. There are a bazillion threads around here about the benefits of each.

3. joeypk07 macrumors newbie

If you're close to an Apple Retail store I would go in and play with them both. Ask a rep there to walk you through them if possible. If you do any presentations Keynote is superior to PowerPoint in my opinion. Numbers is less robust, but still capable. I like some of the presets. Pages still seems to lag a little behind Word in my opinion, but i haven't used Word 08 much... and for most people word processing is word processing... probably comes down to personal preference.

4. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

And cost. iWorks is a lot cheaper...

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Office 2004/2008 for the Mac is not entirely equivalent to the Windows versions
    They are not horrible, but many prefer the older 2004

If you need absolute compatibility, you might want to run the Windows version(s) through virtualization or Boot Camp

If you are just looking for functionality, iWork is a great value

If you are looking at price, Open Office/Neo Office is a free alternative

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. aditghai macrumors regular

aditghai

I use iWork for school and it gets the job done. Plus at my campus bookstore, iWork for $39. Amazing

7. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

When you get your Mac go here for a free iWork Trial. The trial may already be on your new machine, I don't remember.

8. andy123 macrumors newbie

Hi emptyCup, thanks for the i work i am downloading it hope its as good as ms office. I am newbie to mac.

9. Zeos macrumors 6502

I use both extensively...

I mainly use iWork at home and when freelancing, since it really is an easier, more productive package to use. But I use Office for Mac 2008 at my day job for the higher liklihood of compatability with my clients who pretty much use Office exclusively.

IMHO, iWork is the better package for the average user. It is has lots more power features aimed at making things look great with little effort. It's a typical Apple product, well thought out and functional. Office, on the other hand, has more power features for the programmer or power user who is building intergrated applications. VBA and Access are powerful, but used by less than 5% of consumers. If you need a database, Bento (by Filemaker) is a MUCH better choice than Access for most anyway.

You can get a 30-day trial of Office for Mac. A good way to get a feel for iWork is to watch the tutorials on the Apple web site.