Questions about jailbraking and greenpoision

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Ljwinter, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Ljwinter macrumors member

I recently jailbroke my iPhone 4 for the purpose of tethering to the new iPad I plan on purchasing this Friday and I have a few questions as to how this works. The tethering park I got to work fine, I got TetherMe and tested it out with my MB and it works great so I'm assuming it will work just as fine with the new iPad. I haven't done anything to my phone other than the tethering and I have no plans of doing anything else to it. Like I said, my whole purpose was to avoid paying AT&T for something I already pay for and should be free to do whatever I want with. My questions are basically about upgrading and my phone.

1. Is it correct that the only ways to restore my phone, jailbrake free, is to update my phone to the current firmware or to restore my phone and update it to the most recent backup?

2. I backed up my phone prior to jailbraking and if I do decide to restore my phone, can I backup my phone again (being jailbroken) so not to lose any movies/music/photos placed on my phone and then just restore it to that backup to retain all my added media? Or do I have to back it up to the backup prior to jailbraking and just have to deal with not having the newer songs/movies/pictures placed on my phone?

Sorry if this is confusing to anyone trying to help me, I could try to explain it better if need be.

Thanks for any help or info :confused:

2. scarboni21 macrumors regular

You cannot tether an iphone to an ipad using tetherme on 4.2.1. When 4.3 comes out tetherme will activate the hotspot feature which fixes this issue.

As for backing up and restoring. These are two totally different things. You can backup a jailbroken phone the same as you did prior to jailbreaking and can restore that info if need be(ie pictures, videos, media etc). The phone however will not be jailbroken.

3. Ljwinter thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Tetherme wont work? Do I need 4.3 on my phone or the iPad for it to work? I'm confused. I thought I could just connect via Bluetooth???

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Both would have to be on 4.3.

5. Ljwinter thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hmmm so I have to wait for a 4.3 jailbreak? What about if I purchased MyWi? Would that solve it?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, either wait for the 4.3 JB, that shouldnt be that long.
    Mywi will work for sure since it uses Wifi tethering.

7. Ljwinter thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot.

8. Ljwinter thread starter macrumors member

Sorry to be a pain but when the 4.3 jailbreak does come out what is the proper way to upgrade my phone and then rejailbreak? Can I just back my phone up, restore my phone, update the firmware and then restore from my backup? I'm not really sure how to do this.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you just update thru itunes.
    Restore from your backup and then rejailbreak.