Questions about Jailbreaking and Unlocking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sturmey, May 8, 2012.

1. sturmey macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Let me start by saying I'm a complete novice with anything computer related, so I am here seeking advice on things I know very little about.
    So, I have an iphone 3g and its jailbroken so that it could be unlocked and used on any carrier. I bought it 'unlocked' and didn't realize that it being jailbroken was part of that package; I have concerns about that:

I like the simplicity, reliabilty and security of mac... it's why I wanted an iphone. I have no desire to mess with programing and fiiles on this iphone through Cydia. My concern is that jailbreaking compromises security on the device. I plan to stick to using the app store and I want to avoid looking up things like bank info online. I'm not a 'heavy user' of my smart phone in general I use it mostly for maps and navigation. So, considering these things should I be fairly safe? And not just safe from my info being hacked, but safe in the sense that the software on the phone will remain stable and reliable?

I'd like this device to last long enough so that once I'm out of my current contract I can sign on w/ a company that supports the iphone more fully. I wont get into details about why I'm using an unlocked phone... suffice to say I'm stuck in a contract and have had big issues with android phones and $ is an issue. Also, I just don't really trust anything aside from mac these days.

Oh, also... can i get an official or factory unlock to happen somehow? Would that get around jail breaking? If so, would it have to happen through apple?

Thanks for any feedback!

2. JZTech101 macrumors member

JZTech101

Completely Safe

As long as you install Apps that are from Trusted Repositories or Copies of those apps from other repositories, you will be fine. If you are worried anyhow try Firewall IP. It will monitor your device and allow you to block and/or allow incoming and outgoing connections from apps at your choice.