Questions about jailbreaking/unlocking iphone 4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fernhollow, Dec 27, 2010.

1. fernhollow macrumors newbie

i don't know how jailbreaking and unlocking an iphone 4 works.
    if i buy the iphone 4 unlock and jailbreak it, can i keep my existing phone number from verizon? what will i pay monthly for the service? will verizon know that i am using an iphone and charge me for data service?

any and all info would be so helpful. basically i want an iphone but dont want to pay the huge monthly service cost!

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

if your in the USA good luck getting your iPhone on Verizon. that is what Verizon has wanted forever... hopefully soon but they will require CDMA version

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

verizon uses a different type of cell phones, CDMA versus GSM. So you cannot use it on that carrier.

4. fernhollow thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick response. so you can't unlock the phone to be used on verizon. so is there really no way around the $50/month data plan? bummer.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

What $50 Data plan? think you need to do some more research or just get another smartphone..

6. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

It's best if you don't try to unlock it if you're not an expert or good at it, i've seen many iPhones get ruined by messing with its baseband.

7. fernhollow thread starter macrumors newbie

AT&T breaks down the monthly charges for having an iphone. that's where I got the $50 thing from. "A data plan is required for the life of your iPhone service and cannot be removed in the future."
    data plan =$45/month
    unlimited minutes = $70/month
    text messages = $5-$20/month

right now i'm on the verizon family plan with 6 of my friends, we all pay $10 a month. i have a crappy motorola razr and was just wondering if it were possible to get the iphone for cheaper than what AT&T wants you to sign up for. i know it'll be expensive but since like i said i don't know anything about jailbreaking/unlocking and was hoping someone would say "sure you can use the iphone for $10/month!!!!"

maybe i'll just get an ipod touch

8. labman, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010

labman macrumors 604

labman

latest rumor you will get it soon on Verizon then again that rumor has been out since the 1st iPhone but I will say it's getting closer. search it and you willo see all the latest but nothing 100% confirmed. oh my data plan unlimited is $30 so I don't know your source..

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cannot use any current iphone model on verizon.
    Only AT&T and Tmobile if you unlock it.
    You can avoid the data plan by either using a prepaid AT&T account or going to Tmobile.

10. fernhollow thread starter macrumors newbie

i got my info from the at&t website. $30 doesnt seem so bad, who is your service from?

11. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

$30 is ATT unlimited data plan. They don't offer it anymore to new customers. Now, it's $15 for 200MB and $25 for 2GB.

12. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

I don't know where you're getting your numbers from exactly, but AT&T offers two data plans for new subscribers:
    • 200MB/Month for $15
    • 2GB/month for $25 (Grandfathered users could opt to keep their "unlimited" for $30/month)

The only thing that would bring your data plan to $45/month is if you elected to pay AT&T the $20/month for tethering in addition to the 2GB plan mentioned above (which is not required).