Questions about jailbreaking/unlocking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TheKingIV, Mar 6, 2010.

1. TheKingIV macrumors member

Let me start with the plan for right now.

When the next iPhone comes out, presumably this summer, I'd like to sell my 3G on eBay, then use my upgrade that will be available through AT&T to get the new iPhone. I'm guessing the new one will cost about $299 through AT&T, and since my 3G is in good shape, if it is unlocked, shouldn't I end up getting about $200 for it? $100 not bad for a new iPhone.

Anyways...If I jailbroke this 3G, obviously when I get around to selling it, I'm going to want all my personal info off of it. A few questions:

1) If I "restore factory settings" is the phone still unlocked? Does that take all my personal info off?
    2) If I upgrade to the newest OS (that will break the jailbreak) is it still unlocked?
    3) If either of those does lock the phone back, how do I simply unlock it with none of my personal info on it so it is ready to sell on eBay?

Any advice/criticism on my plan would be helpful also!

Thanks

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

1. It wont be unlocked or JB any more if you restore it. Your personal info will be gone.
    2. If you upgrade it the JB will be gone and also the unlock will be gone and possibly wont be able to unlock it for a long time.
    3. you can always JB a 3G model but wont be able to unlock it once the baseband has been updated with a 3.1.3 restore/update. It will only work with AT&T sims.

3. TheKingIV thread starter macrumors member

That is great feedback, thank you.

So, if I jailbroke at 3.1.2, you're saying I definitely need to not fool around with updating or else I might not be able to unlock it?

How do I make sure all my personal info is off the phone and the phone is "wiped clean" of other preferences (themes, etc.), as well as unlocked, for the person that I sell to?

Is my phone already unlocked now if I jailbroke?

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

With a 3G it's really simple. When it comes time to sell, you should:

1) Use Erase All Contents and Settings to erase all data.
    2) Shift-restore (Win) or option-restore (Mac) to 3.1.2. Do not restore to 3.1.3 or later.
    3) Jailbreak with redsn0w.
    4) Unlock with blacksn0w.

Note: if you still have the 04.26.08 baseband you should try to preserve it:

1) Use Erase All Contents and Settings to erase all data.
    2) Shift-restore (Win) or option-restore (Mac) to 3.0. Do not restore to 3.1 or later.
    3) Upgrade to a custom 3.1.2 made with PwnageTool to preserve your baseband.
    4) Unlock with ultrasn0w.

5. TheKingIV thread starter macrumors member

When it comes a bit closer to the time I'm going to be doing this, I might ask you to dumb down those instructions a good bit. I am kind of a newb with all this stuff. For instance, if I already jailbroke at 3.1.2 do I have to do that option restore stuff?

Thank you for the advice, though.

6. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

When selling your device, Erase All Content and Settings, restore with a 3.1.2 firmware and then use Pwnage Tool to jailbreak and blacksn0w to unlock. :)

Why should you preserve 04.26.08? You can unlock 05.11.07 with blacksn0w.

7. TheKingIV thread starter macrumors member

How much do you all think a used, unlocked 3G 8GB will go for in June/July/August?

Phone is in perfect shape. No visible scratches or anything.

8. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You have to option-restore because otherwise it will update you to the latest firmware, which will upgrade your modem firmware (baseband) to 05.12.01 which cannot be unlocked.

If you have already unlocked at 3.1.2 (unless you did so with PwnageTool), then you probably have the 05.11.07 baseband already. In that case, use the first set of instructions I gave. If they weren't clear enough:

1) Use Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Contents and Settings to erase all data. This may take an hour or more, so make sure your phone is plugged in.
    2) Hold down the option key and click restore in iTunes. Browse to the 3.1.2 firmware file iPhone1,2_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw (you may have to download it if it is no longer on your computer).
    3) Jailbreak with redsn0w (use this iClarified tutorial)
    4) Unlock with blacksn0w (use this iClarified tutorial).

Because ultrasn0w is a far better unlock than blacksn0w. Blacksn0w causes all kinds of issues, including an intermittent problem with WiFi connectivity that affects 15-20% of users. If you have the ability to preserve the 04.26.08 baseband, you should do so at all costs.

9. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Maybe about $100 I would say. :) At that time, it would be an iPhone 2 generations prior and only at 8GB.

If it only affects 15-20%, I wouldn't "avoid at all costs", but one should make a conscious decision when doing so. If 40-50% of users were having issues, you might not want to go that route.

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

It is very irresponsible to recommend someone upgrade their baseband to 05.11.07. You have no idea how significant these issues are for those they affect. They can completely disable WiFi, for some people this becomes a permanent issue as long as blacksn0w is installed and connot even be resolved by restoring and reinstalling blacksn0w. There are also a number of other less-well-documented issues with blacksn0w. Anyone who's experienced these problems would tell that 04.26.08 if it were at all possible.

If you want to take the risk, go ahead; but don't come in here and contradict me when I'm telling a newb who isn't even informed enough to make that choice the best way to restore his phone. Especially when the extra step required to do it right takes just a few minutes and can have a huge payoff.

11. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Perhaps re-reading my post would help before getting all miffed for no reason. :)

12. TheKingIV thread starter macrumors member

Great rundown, thank you!

However, what if I did use PwnageTool to jailbreak it at 3.1.2?

13. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

That depends on what your baseband is. You can quickly check your baseband by going to Settings > General > About and reading what it says after Modem Firmware. If it says 04.26.08, then you should be sure to option-restore to 3.0 and then jailbreak using PwnageTool to create a custom 3.1.2 firmware; this will preserve your ability to unlock using ultrasn0w. If it says 05.11.07, then you can just restore to 3.1.2 and jailbreak using redsn0w; you will have to use blacksn0w to unlock.

14. TheKingIV thread starter macrumors member

So, if it is 05.11.07, then I just follow your instructions above?

1) Use Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Contents and Settings to erase all data. This may take an hour or more, so make sure your phone is plugged in.
    2) Hold down the option key and click restore in iTunes. Browse to the 3.1.2 firmware file iPhone1,2_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw (you may have to download it if it is no longer on your computer).
    3) Jailbreak with redsn0w (use this iClarified tutorial)
    4) Unlock with blacksn0w (use this iClarified tutorial).

15. thinkpad77 macrumors newbie

hey, I am in the same boat as your except I would like to jb/ul my 3G 8GB iphone today or sometime this week.

- non-MC model

In my case if I have to use redsn0w, do I still need to download and install 3.1.2_ipsw file even though my iphone already has 3.1.2? And I guess only option to unlock is using blackra1n (a.k.a blacksn0w)? also, will these process impact the baseband? ie., will it upgrade to 05.12?

Thanks in advance !

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, if you're already on 3.1.2 you dont have to restore again.
    Yes your only option is the Blacksnow unlock on that baseband. The JB or unlock process will not impact or upgrade your baseband unless you upgrade to official 3.1.3

17. thinkpad77 macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot !

When I started the redsn0w, the first option it gives me a window with "Browse" option with the "Next" button grayed out. So where do I get the 3.1.2.ipsw file if I don't have to restore again? Sorry if it is a dumb question or of that sort but I have already screwed up my first iphone using blackra1n/snow combo after which I had to go the apple store to restore it (while they happily upgraded fw to 3.1.3/05.12) and then an exchange at best buy. fortunately, the newly exchanged has 3.1.2/05.11.07.

EDIT: This link says the steps for jb 3.1.2 using redsn0w BUT the first step is where I am puzzled "download the latest 3.1.2 firmware from below and place it in the same folder"

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can download any official firmware for any iphone models here:
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750
    Then point Redsnow thru browse to the location you saved the downloaded ipsw.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, download 3.1.2 from that location and save it on your computer.
    Just so you can point redsnow to it thats all.

20. thinkpad77 macrumors newbie

Thanks again !

I will try this sometime this week. Hopefully, no issues this time !