Questions About Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by lawrencel, Feb 14, 2010.

1. lawrencel macrumors newbie

I'm interested in buying an Itouch, but after hours of reading, I am still thoroughly confused about jailbreaking. Everything changes so quickly, that information only a few months old seems contradicted by newer stuff, so I've no idea what's really going on. Most if it seems written for people who are highly familiar with Iphone and ITouch. I'm not.

I'm hoping that I can get some straight answers about of few basic issues.

1. Is it possible to jailbreak the new 3g versions?

2. How important is it to jailbreak? I want to run applications like Skype and xGPS. Do I need to jailbreak to run them? Is there is authoritative listing of apps that I can run with/without jailbreaking?

I'd greatly appreciate answers.

2. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'm assuming you have iTunes. Just go to the iTunes store and check out the apps.

Skype is a free app but I'm not sure what xGPS is (you can see if it is on the app store).

You absolutely do not need to jailbreak it.

jailbreaking is used for
    1) Customizing
    2) Tethering
    3) Multitasking
    4) Pirating apps (number one reason most people jailbreak)

3. ranguvar macrumors 6502

You can run all apps from the App Store without jailbreaking.

4. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

When you jailbreak your basically hacking your own device. It cracks open the OS so you can customize and do things you normally wouldnt be able to. Its constantly changing because Apple takes steps to prevent this from happening so every new software update has to be re cracked.

You dont need to jailbreak at all, you can still listen to music, run apps from the appstore and run all the default apps without jailbreaking, just do some google and youtube searches to get more info.

5. scott:mac macrumors regular

Basically.
    Jail breaking cracks the OS as ^ just said.

Enables you to do things Apple doesnt want you to do, for example.

Third Party Apps like. 'unsupported' and 'winterboard' which cheats apple out of blocking old AV cables and winterboard changes the themes for your iTouch.

You can also do things like. Download 'install0us' and install apps from the app store for free.

You dont have to jailbreak, it is an illegal option.
    I do not condone jailbreaking as it is ILLEGAL.
    Please stick to Apples EULA and purchase appstore apps legally.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The iPt doesnt have a GPS like the iPhones do.

7. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

no, it doesn't have a built-in gps, but a dongle is like $65, and w/in several months will probably come down to around $50.

8. ranguvar macrumors 6502

Jailbreaking is not illegal. Piracy is. Please make a difference between jailbreaking and pirating!

9. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

This is a rediculous post. First you tell him that he can download cracked apps (which is illegal) and then you tell him not to jailbreak because its illegal (which it is not, at all).
    :confused:

10. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

First, discussion of piracy is not allowed here on MacRumors. Second, you need to do some more research because I can tell you jailbreaking is definitely not illegal. An EULA is different from the law. You own the device, Apple doesn't. You're free to do what you want. I can take my device and smash it with a hammer, am I gonna go to jail for that? No! Its my device, I can do what I want to it.

And OP, you cannot jailbreak your 3g because you decided to late to get one, and its going to be already loaded with the 3.1.3 firmware, which isn't jailbreakable on MC model iPhones/iPods. Now, if you do get one that is loaded with the 3.1.2 firmware. DO NOT UPDATE! YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO JAILBREAK, NOR WILL YOU BE ABLE TO DOWNGRADE. This is because Apple has stopped signing the 3.1.2 firmware. If it does come with 3.1.2, you have two jailbreak methods you can use. 1 method, is Blackra1n, the fastest jailbreak process out there, available from www.blackra1n.com. The second method, is redsn0w. Redsn0w takes a little longer. When you use redSn0w, point it to the 3.1.2 firmware file, then you choose yes when it asks you if you have a new MC model iPod. You will have a tethered jailbreak. Run redsn0w again after the jailbreak, and point it to the 3.1.2 firmware file, then choose yes to MC model question, then click "Just boot tethered right now", and your iPod will turn on. You will have to do this every time you want to turn on your iPod. With Blackra1n, you just click make it ra1n twice when jailbreaking, then once when you want to turn it on.