Questions about jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by omega23, Jul 22, 2010.

1. omega23 macrumors newbie

I am thinking about jailbreaking my iPod Touch 1st gen, but I have some questions before I do it cause I have never jailbroken something before and I'm new to this.

1. If I have a jailbroken iTouch, will I be able to download/buy apps from the iTunes store and install them on my iPod Touch, if so, can I play them online or locally in multiplayer with a non-jailbroken iTouch/iPhone? My brother has a non-jailbroken iPhone and we sometimes play locally in some multiplayer games.

2. Will I be able to use cracked apps online? For example: twitter, Skype, Messenger, WhatsApp and games with online multiplayer.

3. I know that some jailbroken iDevices offer apps to run in the background, but doesn't that drain the battery quickly? And doesn't it heat up the device a lot?

4. What jailbreaking software would you recommend for iPod Touch 1st gen? I have heard of Spirit, Blackra1n, RedSn0w, ZiPhone, iLiberty, QuickPwn, WinPwn.

5. I heard that some jailbreaking software permanently upgrades/downgrades your baseband. What is a baseband and can it be restored with the "Restore to factory settings" in iTunes?

I have Windows 7 64-bit on my computer. My iPod Touch is 1st gen, OS version is 3.1.3 and 16GB. My iTunes version is 9.2.

2. celticpride678

1) Yes and Yes
    2) Those applications are free - no need for cracked versions
    3) No Cydia application will automatically run in the background. You must download Backgrounder if you want it. I haven't noticed a significant battery drop with multitasking using Backgrounder
    4) QuickPwn
    5) Baseband is for iPhone's

3. omega23 thread starter macrumors newbie

What about apps that aren't free, like for example Monopoly. If I would have a cracked version of it, could I play it online or with my friends who have it purchased through the iTunes store?

I heard that it's for Mac only, I have Win7 64-bit, but if it is available for Windows, where could I get it because I have been searching www.quickpwn.com a lot these past days and I couldn't find any tutorials or software about jailbreaking iPod Touch 1st gen OS 3.1.3.

4. celticpride678

Yes.

5. applemike macrumors 6502

applemike

1. Yes

2.Yes

3.No

4. Redsn0w, simple for novice users. download link here

5.Nothing to do with the touch (iPhone only problem)

6. omega23 thread starter macrumors newbie

I took this from the Redsn0w website:
    This release supports:

All iPhones and iPod touches (still a tethered-only JB for late-model devices though)
    Apple firmware 3.0 and 3.1.2
    Windows and Mac OSX (x86 only for now)

My iTouch 1st gen is 3.1.3.

7. applemike macrumors 6502

applemike

if you Google redsn0w, then go to the original website. then you can see what version of Redsn0w will work for your iPod / Firmware.

there is a version that will work for you,

8. omega23 thread starter macrumors newbie

You mean http://redsn0w.com ?
    I went to it and just clicked "info here" which brought me here. What do I do there? I see that it's redsn0w 0.9.2, but I heard that 0.9.4 was unstable and the 0.9.5 is in beta and doesn't support my iPod yet, but what about 0.9.3? Could it work for me?