iPhone Questions about jailbroken iPhone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iphoneuser4563, Aug 3, 2014.

1. iphoneuser4563 macrumors newbie

Hello, I currently have a jailbroken iPhone 5c that I would like to un-jailbreak. iTunes won't recognize my phone at all, and DFU and recovery mode don't seem to work either. I don't want to lose all of my data. If I update my phone will it unjailbreak it? Should I maybe try using another computer? Also, if it does work on another computer, could I back up my jailbroken iPhone, reset it, and restore it from the backup and still have everything except the jailbreak part?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Put it in DFU mode, then iTunes should see it, do a clean restore to current firmware, do not restore to backup. Use tabs in iTunes or iCloud to restore content.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

If iTunes doesn't recognize the iPhone you should first try different USB ports for the cable and then a different cable.

Once it's restored to stock iOS restoring from a backup will not include the jailbreak...although I'm pretty sure that it does include settings files and folders for jailbreak apps and tweaks since, in my case, restoring from backup and then reinstalling JB'd apps and tweaks brings back the settings I had in most of the tweaks.

So, your iPhone will not be jailbroken and on the surface you won't see any remnants of jailbreaking but down inside there is evidence. Only a "Restore as new" then re-downloading apps and re-entering settings will give you a "clean" iOS device.

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If the threadstarter does not restore to backup, then none of the settings or jailbreak "leftovers" will be added back into the phone.

5. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

OP said he didn't want to lose all his data

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Well he has a choice to make -

Recover "all" his data (which will incorporate some jailbreak leftovers back into the phone)

or

Get a clean, factory fresh restore which will run better and give him better battery performance with no jailbreak "gremlins" to cause problems

7. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

He could just back the info up into his computer and iCloud.

8. tykia macrumors newbie

jailbroken iPhone will not boot up

hi, i just jailbroken my phone today and after downloading the first app, it rebooted and will not leave the apple logo screen. can someone please help? my home button is also broken.