questions about JB phone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by User3977, Jan 6, 2011.

1. User3977 macrumors member

im new to the whole iphone jb deal. i have had winmo phones in the past and just flashed the rom on them but from what i have been reading that is not the case with the iphone. or is it? what i would like to do is put my calendar screen on the main lock screen. everything else past that is just a bonus. is there a way to to this somewhat painless?

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Would help to know what iPhone you have since the ease of JB'ing depends on which one you have. LockInfo is a nice addition however there's A LOT more stuff that will catch your eye once you've JB'd.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You need to Jailbreak your iPhone and Install LockInfo, that will put your Calendar on the LockScreen.

To JB your phone you need to do a search since you didn't say what phone you got or what version of iOS you are running i cannot tell you what tool to use in order to jailbreak

4. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

For the OP, check out this website (someone posted this a few days ago and I think it's REALLY helpful). Simply find which iPhone model you have, which firmware (iOS 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.1, etc.) you're running on, and it'll tell you if it can be jailbroken, which tool to use, whether it's tethered or un-tethered, etc.

http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/iPhone-iTouch-Jailbreak

5. User3977 thread starter macrumors member

sorry about missing the part about the phones. i have both an iphone 3g and 3gs both 16gb running 4.2.1 (8C148a). im going to look at the site posted but usually have better luck with the people doing than trying to understand reading it myself and trying to do it. if that makes sense

6. User3977 thread starter macrumors member

something else i should have asked, will this erase everything i have on the phone? i have some paid apps on there as well as a ton of contacts and sms i would like to keep.

7. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Jailbreaking won't remove anything from your iPhone unless you restore. Remember for your 3GS the jailbreak will be a tethered one unless it's an old bootrom 3GS.

8. User3977 thread starter macrumors member

that only means that it has to be tethered if i do a reset right? if i lose power and charge it i can still use my phone just not all the features im looking to add correct? also the site looks helpful but all the videos are down :(

9. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If the battery dies, turn it off/on, reboot it, you'll need Redsn0w to turn the 3GS back on.

10. User3977 thread starter macrumors member

i think im figuring it out. the ipsw file im looking for. is it on the mac already for the phone or do i have to download one?

11. User3977 thread starter macrumors member

anyone use yahoo on here? my name is tigger_269 on there if you are up to answering a few questions or just poking fun at me.

12. noiceT macrumors 6502a

13. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You have to download one.

14. User3977 thread starter macrumors member

while im waiting on this to download, can i just repeat what im doing with my 3gs on a 3g or do i need something different?

15. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yeah, the jailbreaking will be the same for both 3G and 3GS. You'll also need ipsw files for both iPhones.

For the 3GS after you jailbreak, you then need to re-run Redsn0w in "tethered mode".

16. User3977 thread starter macrumors member

greek are you on yahoo? i could use a little hand holding here trying to do this. the options asking for the week it was made, if its before week 40 i need to pick no at the screen right?

17. PsstGreek, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I don't have yahoo messenger but I do use Windows Live.

To figure out if your 3GS has the old or new bootrom you have to do this: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-check-iphone-3gs-bootrom-iboot-version/

18. User3977 thread starter macrumors member

well i tried no and it called me an idiot so i restarted it with a yes and i got it running now. i just need to figure it out and tweek. almost wanting a winmo phone back :p