Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjmrk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
I am currently running Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4.2 and really want some virtual strings, as well as some better virtual instruments than the cheap/free stuff I have now and I was wondering about Logic. What kind of strings are included with or are available for Logic? Can I sync Logic with Pro Tools to record and then use whatever I make in Pro Tools? Thanks for any help.

pkoch1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Boston
I am currently running Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4.2 and really want some virtual strings, as well as some better virtual instruments than the cheap/free stuff I have now and I was wondering about Logic. What kind of strings are included with or are available for Logic? Can I sync Logic with Pro Tools to record and then use whatever I make in Pro Tools? Thanks for any help.

Only if you run Logic on a different computer.

Logic comes with section strings, but no Violin 2 section or solo strings. If i remember correctly, they have 3 articulations each, controlled by the mod wheel: detache, staccato, and pizzicato.

deej999

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
Logic's built in effects and instruments are very good and if you need Logic then it's a great deal. But if all you need are effects and instruments and sample libraries why not look at better 3rd party ones?

deej

bjmrk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
OK Thanks. I kind of wanted Logic just because I love the interface, and on occasion do stand-alone computer-generated projects, but since apparently it's not going to work too well for me it is definently at least going down on my list.

Anyone have any recommendations on a good set of RTAS software instruments?

pkoch1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Boston
OK Thanks. I kind of wanted Logic just because I love the interface, and on occasion do stand-alone computer-generated projects, but since apparently it's not going to work too well for me it is definently at least going down on my list.

Anyone have any recommendations on a good set of RTAS software instruments?

For strings? What is your budget? I could recommend string libraries from <$200 to >$5000

bjmrk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Um, under $300 would be nice, but if there's something that will blow me away around say $400 or $500 I'll at least consider.

24" iMac, 2.66 GHz, 4GB Ram. 8 GB & 16GB iPod Touch.

pkoch1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Boston
Um, under $300 would be nice, but if there's something that will blow me away around say $400 or $500 I'll at least consider.

24" iMac, 2.66 GHz, 4GB Ram. 8 GB & 16GB iPod Touch.

$149 http://www.garritan.com/products_gpo4.html
$195 http://www.soundsonline.com/product.php?productid=EW-177
$495 http://www.soundsonline.com/product.php?productid=EW-177

Those would be my best recommendations for your price range. The EastWest Gold orchestra is out of your price range, but it is something to look at and compare the silver version to.

mcpryon2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
I like my Miroslav strings pack for Reason. Of course, I don't know if you use Reason, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.