Questions about Mac Mini with eGPU

zhu-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2018
Hey everyone, been visiting this site for years but just finally registered.

I've been waiting for a new iMac all year and doesn't look like it will be coming. I might wait another few weeks incase they do a silent refresh but who knows.

Anyway, I'm in need of an upgrade from my 2016 13" MBP since it isn't powerful enough to handle two external 4k displays. Browsers and things tend to slow down quite significantly. I'm considering going with the Mac mini since the CPU is a huge improvement, along with an eGPU. I've never used an eGPU before so not sure exactly how it works. I'll be looking to run three 4k displays so have a few questions:
  • Does the monitors have to be plugged into the eGPU to have its processing power? Or would it pass through the Mac mini through my USB C to DP cables?
  • Would all graphics be sped up on the system as if the GPU was built into the machine or only applications specifically designed to use the eGPU like games, final cut, etc.?
  • Are only specific GPU's supported?
  • I plan on buying the Razer Core X enclosure and putting in an old Geforce 680 GTX no longer in use from another computer. Would this be compatible?
Thanks!

archer75

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon

I've been waiting for a new iMac all year and doesn't look like it will be coming. I might wait another few weeks incase they do a silent refresh but who knows.

Anyway, I'm in need of an upgrade from my 2016 13" MBP since it isn't powerful enough to handle two external 4k displays. Browsers and things tend to slow down quite significantly. I'm considering going with the Mac mini since the CPU is a huge improvement, along with an eGPU. I've never used an eGPU before so not sure exactly how it works. I'll be looking to run three 4k displays so have a few questions:
  • Does the monitors have to be plugged into the eGPU to have its processing power? Or would it pass through the Mac mini through my USB C to DP cables?
  • Would all graphics be sped up on the system as if the GPU was built into the machine or only applications specifically designed to use the eGPU like games, final cut, etc.?
  • I plan on buying the Razer Core X enclosure and putting in an old Geforce 680 GTX no longer in use from another computer. Would this be compatible?
Thanks!
The monitors are plugged in to the egpu.
I don't know.
Nvidia is not supported in Mojave. Prior to Mojave there was a hack you could do to get them to work but with Mojave apple hasn't approved the nvidia drivers. So only the listed AMD cards currently work.

PJivan

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2015

Thanks!
Yes unless you want to loose further performance
Yes
Only amd on mac and both in bootcamp (windows)
Again only on windows

zhu-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2018
Thanks. Any other suggestions for eGPU enclosures? I picked the Razer mostly because it was one of the cheapest ones and looked good. I don't need that many IOs like offered by other enclosures but the Razer one does seem much larger than others too.

PJivan

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2015
I may go for the asus xg pro due to the 0db in idle but if you already own a razor than I don’t see why change it

zhu-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2018
I may go for the asus xg pro due to the 0db in idle but if you already own a razor than I don’t see why change it
I don't own it yet, only the GTX 680. I'm still open to considering any enclosure so will check that one out. Thanks!
[doublepost=1542155561][/doublepost]Also, does anyone know if RX580s can support three 4k monitors? Many of them also have 2xDP + 2xHDMI 2.0. There shouldn't be any issues with 4k60hz?