Questions About Mac Pro Configuration

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iindigo, Apr 24, 2008.

1. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

I am looking into buying a Mac Pro at some point... not immediately, but if all goes as planned, within the coming months.

I have a few questions as to how I should spec the thing, though - primarily, I need to know whether I should go ahead and pony up the cash for the 8-core machine or if I should drop the CPU option down to the 4-core option, but advice on the other components is welcome too.

Here's what I'll be doing with the machine:

• Basic stuff (web, mail, music, chat, etc)
    • A good deal of Photoshop projects in UI, web, high-res wallpaper design, and other various things
    • Moderate programming with small to mid-sized projects
    • Playing ripped HD content of both resolutions
    • Occaisonal dabbling in video projects and encoding
    • Occaisonal/moderate dabbling in 3D projects
    • Playing WoW (Would love if I could play with --all-- visuals turned to max and still have a great framerate)

It'd be very nice if I were able to use this machine for a long time without having to replace it, even if upgrades are necessary.

I predict that some may say "Get a 24" iMac instead", and I would agree with them to some point, but I've owned three iMacs in a row (indigo iMac DV 400Mhz, iMac G4 15" 1Ghz, iMac G5 2Ghz 20" [current]) and I'm sick of not being able to upgrade my hardware when things start feeling aged.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

The 8-core machine would be more 'future proof' and also be quite handy if you ever rip DVDs or want to get into more hardcore video editing or whatnot, but based on what you have listed it seems the 4-core 2.8 GHz model with an 8800 GT would suit you perfectly. Maybe add some RAM and another HDD or two from a third-party though.

3. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Yeah, I was kinda thinking that an 8-core would be overkill, but didn't know how necessary it would be for future-proofing.

Do you have any advice for the amount of RAM to get for it (obviously not from Apple)?

4. Outsiderdude26 macrumors regular

Get the stock 8-core and buy the ram at OWC... get as much as you an afford.

5. G4DP macrumors 65816

It may seem overkill at the minute, but buy the 8 core stock machine. You may not see the benefit from it this year or even next, but as more software is written to make use of multiple cores the octo machines will be a lot more useful.

Also trying to upgrade a quad core to a octo is more hassle than it's really worth.

Regarding RAM, if your going to be doing a lot of PhotoShop, I would say somewhere between 8 or 16GB. I bought 8GB from OWC last month. Great value, 2 day shipping - across the pond and has been flawless in performance.

6. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

8 Cores ROCK THE CASBAH!
    If you can afford it there's nothing like having 8 processors working away, or 4 resting while 4 are working. When you need em they come in handy.

7. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Good points about the 8-core you guys have. I suppose it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.