Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fatemu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2005
D.C.
Ok, i've been thinking alot about switching to a Mac for some time, and have a couple of questions i'd like to ask. :D

NOTE: I'm not very famailar with Macs, so some questions might sound stupid to you. Don't laugh, or throw things at me. :(

1) I already have Photoshop for Windows, do I have to buy it again for the Mac?

2) I have small collection of PC games, are these playable on the Mac?

3) I'm looking at the iMac, and hoping for a purchase before the end of August, would this be a good time to buy it?

4) Can any files on my computer, such as photos or documents, be transfered over to my Mac? Possibly using my iPod?

Also to get in the Mac mood, I got object desktop and object bar, and made this background. :D

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 107

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
1) I already have Photoshop for windows, do I have to buy it again for the Mac?
Yeah, you'll need new versions

No windows software will work on Macs.

3) I'm looking at the iMac, and hoping for a purchase before the end of August, would this be a good time to buy it?
Buy it when you need it.

4) Can any files on my computer, such as photos or documents, be transfered over to my mac? Possibly using my iPod?
The iPod will work, or you can network the mac and pc. Yeah, you can transfer them.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
fatemu said:
Ok, i've been thinking alot about switching to a Mac for some time, and have a couple of questions i'd like to ask. :D

NOTE: I'm not very famailar with Macs, so some questions might sound stupid to you. Don't laugh, or throw things at me. :(

4) Can any files on my computer, such as photos or documents, be transfered over to my Mac? Possibly using my iPod?

Also to get in the Mac mood, I got object desktop and object bar, and made this background. :D

Answers

1. Yes you have to buy a new version.
2. No your games won't run on a Mac (maybe with VirtualPC).
3. Its always a good time to buy a Mac. :) I think now thru Sept 24th you get also get a free iPod Mini (if you a student).
4. iPod will work also network connection between the 2.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House

Yup, unless you want to run it in Virtual PC, which anyone wil ltell you would be idiotic.

Nope, unless you want to run it in Virtual PC, which anyone wil ltell you would be idiotic.

I'd wait until Mac Expo Paris is over before your purchase.

Yup, depending on the app that generated them.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
i'm sure you'll love being a mac user. there's a few annoyances, mostly with compatibility admittedly, but it's a great platform. about your (amazing looking imho) xp mod, you can go here for instructions about how to rename the recycle bin to something like "trash" if you like, and you might be able to buy Lucida Grande somewhere for a system font, as that's os x's default.
attached is a text file i made using the info from that site, if you'd rather use that. just rename it to .reg and open it, like the site says. :)

Attachments

• renamerecyclebin.txt
    182 bytes · Views: 94

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
Answers to your questions:

1) You might have to, though I thought Adobe had a trade-in thing where you could swap Windows versions of your software for Mac ones on the cheap...

2) Probably not.

3) It's a pretty good time if you are a student with student discount (get an iPod too!), else I'd wait until after Paris expo like a previous poster said.

4) Yes.

And good luck with the wait (I know I was impatient haha).

fatemu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2005
D.C.
Ok thanks to all the replies. I was pretty sure none of my PC software would run, but had to ask any ways.

I'd wait for the Paris Expo, but I'm gonna need it before I go back to school. I'm hoping to get it as soon as possible to get famiralized with it. That is, unless it would make a huge diffrence if I wait.

Once again thanks to all those who replied. :)

NMynarich

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2005
Chicago
Don't worry, I'm in the same situation as you. I've never worked extensively on a mac before and I'm probably buying a mac laptop within the week. I'm completely nervous but at this point I'm just closing my eyes and jumping in, hoping everything works out for the best.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Just remember that if you have a copy of a major piece of software (like Photoshop), a company will almost always let you purchase only the upgrade for the new platform.

You may have to send in your windows install discs, but that's probably worth a few hundred dollars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.