Questions about Macbook Pro 13 vs 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Evil Beejeebers, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Evil Beejeebers macrumors newbie

Hi boys and girls,

I posted a message last year about the Macbook Pro in the end I didn't get it, due to limited finances. This year I am definitely(probably) buying. I was drawn towards the 13inch Pro with retina last year, then I realised that Iris is not that much better than HD5000 is this what causes the "lag" what you are discussing in these forums?

Do you often hook your laptop to an external display? I never really considered doing that with the 13 inch as you would still have laptop performance when it came to processor heavy tasks? and is the Air more practical than the 13inch pro when hooked to a monitor quite often?

the 15 inch models are obliviously quite a bit dearer but to gain quad cores and a modest dGPU in the high end model seems like a fair trade off. does having the Iris pro help run the desktop better than standard Iris?

I am doing Web and Mobile development so I think the nicer screens of the retina models are probably worth it I just don't know which one to go for? I know I won't really need the ram of the larger models.

I might do a tad of 3d animation, will the new OSX be designed with the current models in line?

2. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

Just giving you my input on my buying decision on 13 vs 15:
    Weight. I just couldn't get over the size of the 15 inch. I am a field IT guy, and have to schlep my macbook up and down racks and into construction areas. 15 was just too big.
    However, I have to say that if I was going to have a laptop that I wasn't going to haul around, the 15 would be it. I was sorely tempted by the quad core i7 and the 1tb drive.
    As far as connecting external displays, I have used various apple laptops for the last 15 years and they have all done extremely well. Most recently I had a 13 2010 MBA, and when at my desk at work, paired it with a 27 inch Samsung monitor. Was lovely and responded well.
    The retina display on both sizes is lovely.

3. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

I have the 15" and I schlep it around a lot. The laptop is one of the lighter ones in the market, especially comparing it some of the older laptops I have; not sure why people still think it's heavy.

If you're interested in hooking it up to an external monitor, any of them will work really. However, keep in mind that 4K monitors are due to become mainstream in the near future so if you're going to jump on that bandwagon, consider what you may need to power it.

4. LxHunter macrumors 6502

Got the MBP 15 2 days ago.
    Gave my MBA 13 to my daughter.
    Removed at least 2 lbs of cables, chargers and other junk from my laptop bag.
    Compared to the huge ones I carried years ago this is light.
    So far I am glad I got the 15 because I wont have to bother with external monitors.
    But for sure never going back to non-retina screen.

5. Evil Beejeebers thread starter macrumors newbie

The 13 inch pro is probably what I will go for, I think the sharper screen will make it easier to pick out commas etc when I am coding or rather looking through my code for errors which happens all the time. I will also need access to the thunderbolt wires as I have very poor wifi at home and I will also be doing a spot of streaming from my desktop to my laptop which will be plugged into the TV. I have not worked out how to have multiple thunderbolt devices connected to an air.

I won't be doing any graphics work willingly but it will be useful to have the resolution for when I am forced to use a graphics suite.

realistically I will be using the device from 7:30am till 8:45am and from about 1pm or 2pm untill about 8 or 10 every week day. will the pro survive that sort of usage?

6. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

13 inch.

The 15 inches is more prone to damage since it is bigger and it might get bang around a bit more.

Also the weight.

I would suggest working out your back and shoulder muscles if you are going for the 15 inch.