Questions about MacBook Pro Mid 2012 (non-retina)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by enakeprimen, Sep 17, 2016.

1. enakeprimen macrumors newbie

I just bought an MBP mid 2012 (non-retina) a week ago. It is the last non-retina model that is still being sold by Apple (at least until now).

The question is Was the MBP mid 2012 that is still being sold manufactured in 2012? If so why it comes pre-installed with OS X El capitan and the HDD is using the latest Hitachi HGST manufactured in Jul-2016? Does Apple only replace the HDD with the latest model and install the latest OS X version? How about the other hardwares such as processor, RAM, Mainboard, etc? I asked these questions to the Apple Store guys but they could not answer my questions.

Thanks in advance.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP asks:
    "Was the MBP mid 2012 that is still being sold manufactured in 2012?"

Even though Apple did not update the design on this one since 2012, they have still actively produced it.

So I will -guess- that the MBPro you bought just a week ago, was probably manufactured no more than six months ago, or even more recently...

3. enakeprimen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answer :)

4. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I was amazed that they even still make and sell the 2012 non-retina in stores! I mean, unless you need a built-in SuperDrive or Ethernet, the MacBook Air is less expensive, and the MacBook Pro Retina has more power and better overall specs.

5. enakeprimen, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016

enakeprimen thread starter macrumors newbie

The reasons why I choose MBP mid 2012:
    1. It has a built-in ethernet port. I work as network administrator so ethernet port is a must. Though there is USB / Thunderbolt to ethernet converter, but for me it is not practical.
    2. The RAM and HDD are easily upgradable.
    3. I replaced the main HDD with an SSD and replaced the SuperDrive with a second HDD using HDD caddy to add 2TB of storage or more. Although there are many USB external HDDs but for me it is not practical.
    4. I am also a Linux lover. Adding second HDD in the opti-bay makes it easy to install Ubuntu/Linux dual-booting with Mac OSX and keep the main HDD intact.