Questions about MacBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mkz, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Mkz macrumors regular

Mkz

Hi there,

I plan to be finally buying a MacBook in a few weeks. I don't think there will be any slightly updated models out anytime soon so I think thats a good choice! (enlighten me if there will be!)

I am thinking of getting the low end aluminium MacBook (2Ghz) and I was wondering will there be a huge difference between the 2Ghz and 2.4Ghz?

I'm going to upgrade to 4GB RAM myself as I think this is a good choice? Anyone know?

I want to get a skin/case for it so I can slip it in my bag for college but I still want to be able to protect it do you think this (http://store.apple.com/uk-edu/product/TJ653ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=MjIzMDk2NQ) kind of case is suitable? How protective are they?

Sorry if im being vague I'm just looking for some general advice at the moment :) I dont think i've missed anything.

Max

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Welcome to MacRumors. I hope you enjoy your new Mac (when you get it).

The choice between the alu 2.0 and 2.4 is really a matter of personal preference. Are the larger HD and backlit keyboard essential to you? This was a key consideration for me. I have an external HD and my MBP has a backlit keyboard, so I didn't need these features.

Unless you do a lot of video/graphics work, you won't notice the difference between the two different processors.

Usually this is the right approach, as Apple seriously overcharges for RAM. However, the newer DDR3 RAM that's in the alu models isn't so cheap on the general market (at least not that I've seen). In this case, you'd actually do well to have Apple upgrade the RAM -- it would also be covered by the warranty, and your computer would be ready to go the minute you got it.

I don't have any experience with that case. I will say that since it's a soft-shell case, it won't protect you from drops (except for a little padding). It should provide effective protection against scratches from being carried around in your bag.

I hope that helps!

3. Mkz thread starter macrumors regular

Mkz

A fantastic very thorough response! Thank you.

I do plan to do a fair bit of audio work so it would probably make a difference. A larger HD and backlit keyboard and huge details.

If anyone else knows about the cases, just let me know :)

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Well for sleeves, there's plenty of options.

Of course, a LOT of people here will talk about the Incase sleeve neoprene sleeve. However, if you do not want zippers or whatever, there is the AppleSac (Now called Colcasac apparently), foofbag, fabrixcases, simonandcleo, waterfield... just to name a few

I have one from simonandcleo.com and I really like it. It doesn't provide any useful protection by itself aside from scratches, but since I put my macbook in the sleeve and then into this (and yes, I did mean to post the 15in version, since having that sleeve on makes the laptop a little bigger, it fits very snugly into the 15in version) it adds a second layer of protection overall.

EDIT: And another point on the bag I posted. I actually bought the 15in version on accident thinking it was the 13in version (don't ask, I wasn't paying attention to the tag...I was at the Apple Store :D), but I am overall very happy because if I did buy the 13in, it would not have fit with my sleeve on.

5. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

I agree with previous posts...

I love the backlit keyboard and I definitely needed the bigger hard drive on my Aluminum MacBook. My iMac and previous notebooks all had 2.4 GB ram so I don't really know what it's like to use less.

I use the Booq Taipan Slim case to carry my notebook, but after using my notebook naked for a few months I decided protection from scratches and dents was essential. Here's my favorite: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TV324ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=MzE2NjIzMQ This eliminates having to put it in and out of a sleeve everytime I want to use it. It's scratch proof and I can toss it in my bag safely.

You will LOVE your new MacBook when you get it. I can't put mine down!

6. Trix macrumors member

Trix

Backlit keyboard is a big issue for many people, and something to consider. Also the HD options as well. What can you afford?

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

It depends on what you want to do with your macbook. If it's basically browsing, listening to iTunes, emails and the like, either should serve your purpose well with no difference between the two. If that's the case, then the new white macbook with the nvidia 9400 graphics chip would be an excellent buy for the money.

I second what's been said about buying the ram through apple so it's covered under warranty. If you buy a macbook from an apple store, you can use the apple ram buyback option within the first two weeks to have apple up the ram to 4 gigs for the same price 150 USD that you could get it when buying an upgrade through the apple website.

Good luck with your decision.