Questions about macOS and High Sierra

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Future-Proof, May 10, 2018.

1. Future-Proof, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018

Future-Proof macrumors regular

Future-Proof

Hi all,

1. Is macOS truly more secure than Windows? I currently have an iPhone and a windows pc.

2. I last had an imac in 2011 and was happy with the OS ui. Is high sierra buggy as some have claimed? Is it just as good or better than Leopard? We have Yosemite at work but i hate when you maximize finder it goes full screen. Is there a way to disable that in high sierra (and yosemite)?

3. Are there any shortcomings with macOS vs windows?

4. Slightly off topic but if anyone knows : my se blinks from time to time and my podcast just paused itself and other weirdness. Is this a sign of hacking/monitoring? I live in the uk have swiftkey and on 11.3.

The blinking only seems to happen when using swiftkey

2. Shadow Jolteon macrumors regular

Shadow Jolteon

1. Yes, but as with any technology, a large part of security depends on you. What you install, how it is configured, etc. all have an impact on overall security.

2. Most of the bigger issues with High Sierra have been patched in newer updates. Most applications will open fullscreen when clicking the green button, but if you hold the option key while clicking it, it will just expand the window.

3. It depends on what you are using it for, since there is a lot of software and some OS-level operations available only on Windows.

4. For the blinking (I'm assuming the screen?), try restarting it. If that doesn't work, you may need to have Apple take a look to see if something is wrong with your screen. For podcasts pausing, it could be due to a number of factors, such as some other media playing, accidentally hitting the button on the EarPods cable, etc. If there's any more details you can provide on these, it may help in finding the cause.

3. Future-Proof thread starter macrumors regular

Future-Proof

Thanks! Yes screen blinking. The podcast pause happened whilst looking at a webpage without audio/video. Just suddenly stopped.

4. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

I’ve never had much trouble with High Sierra. I think you’ll like the synergy of having a Mac and an iPhone. The ability to send and receive texts on either device at any time is a great reason already. Then there’s the other syncing—photos, passwords, browser history and favorites. It’s so nicely integrated that I think you’ll be happy you did.