Questions about MBP battery (plugged? unplugged? cycles?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by definitive, Sep 9, 2012.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

So I'm a recent MBP owner, and after reading through many threads it seems that it's not a good thing to have many cycles on your battery as it shortens its life. I get about 10 cycles a month, and I was wondering if it's bad. Typically I'll unplug my laptop once it's charged and use it until its battery runs out, but I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing, or is it safe to always leave it plugged in when I'm not carrying it around with me? Does the battery stop charging or will keeping it plugged in ruin the battery as well?

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It's not good or bad really - it's just how often you use it. Use your battery normally, as you would, and don't worry about the statistics that you accumulate. You can leave it plugged in for days at a time if you want to, but just allow the battery to discharge once in a while.

3. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Keeping the battery plugged in while not do any harm. Apple says you should expect 1000 cycles. I go through 100 a year so I doubt I'll ever get that far.

There are too many people that are OCD about their flippin' battery. Just plug it in, use it at will and forget it's there.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member