Questions about MBPR

UNCMo96

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I currently have a 2007 Alu iMac C2D (2.4) with 4 gigs of ram that is crawling. I was hoping for a "mini" MacPro to be announced at WWDC but it wasn't. So now I've turned my attention to the MBPR.

While I'm happy to have the portability the computer will primarily be a desktop replacement. I have a few questions:

1. The battery. I know many recommend pulling out the battery in laptops when being used as a desktop. Is there a way to prolong the battery life?

2. I will need to get the ethernet to TB dongle so I can use this at home. Is there a way to hook up 2 monitors to the computer AND have ethernet?

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
1. The battery. I know many recommend pulling out the battery in laptops when being used as a desktop. Is there a way to prolong the battery life?
No one I know recommends this because its not considered a user replaceable component and on older models the laptop would run at 1/2 clock speed. Keep the battery in there and not worry about the life of the battery. I have a 13" MBP and never once have I pulled the battery in almost 3 years - the battery is fine for me.

2. I will need to get the ethernet to TB dongle so I can use this at home. Is there a way to hook up 2 monitors to the computer AND have ethernet?
Not to my knowledge, try using a USB3 to ethernet dongle.

UNCMo96

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I wasn't thinking about pulling the battery since this isn't possible. I was thinking more about software to preserve battery life. I know on PCs you can set it where it will not recharge unless the battery is under 50% to prevent burning of the battery.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I currently have a 2007 Alu iMac C2D (2.4) with 4 gigs of ram that is crawling. I was hoping for a "mini" MacPro to be announced at WWDC but it wasn't. So now I've turned my attention to the MBPR.

While I'm happy to have the portability the computer will primarily be a desktop replacement. I have a few questions:

1. Batteries get weak w/ age whether you use them or let them lie fallow. There is no way to extend their life. It should be fine for 4 years. Don't obsess.

2. You can daisy chain TB so no prob using 2 monitors + eth. You'll need a hub or other device w/ passthrough.