Questions about memory for the MacPro. OC may void warranty.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Jul 1, 2008.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

I read that the MacPro has a FSB of 1600MHz. However, the speed of the memory is only 800MHz. Does that mean the computer's speed is reduced to half due to the slower memory speed? If that is the case, what is the point of getting a faster cpu? Am I missing something?

I read that some users have troubles in over clocking their MacPro because the RAM cannot be over clocked. Which company's RAM are better for overclocking? I heard that Samsung's RAM can be overclocked but when I asked the same question to Crucial, the guy told me that their RAM can't be overclocked. He even suggested me not to do so as the life time warranty is covered only under normal use. Anybody has experience with Samsung's RAM?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The FB-DIMMs (whether Samsungs or Crucials or Kingstons or whatever) are tested and guaranteed at 800 MHz. No higher. So if you overclock, you risk losing warranty. Due to the heat generated, I think it would be a particularly bad idea to overclock FB-DIMMs.

The CPU clock, FSB and memory bus all run at independent speeds, set by ratios on the motherboard. They do not have to be all the same.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the info. I can get the Samsung's RAM at a local store. However, I need to import if I use the Crucial's RAM. Which one would you recommend in terms of performance and reliability? I know that the Crucial's RAM are approved by Apple but not sure about the Samsung's RAM.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It's not just getting the Samsung name brand, it's a matter of getting the right model of Samsung. Choose a reputable reseller who will guarantee compatibility with your Mac, and offers a no-cost return for refund or replacement if it doesn't work (no shipping, no restocking charges). If you buy from out of country, you won't get free warranty shipping. If a seller isn't prepared to guarantee compatibity, move on and find one who does.