Questions about migrating to a new AirPort Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hammie, May 10, 2014.

1. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Since I just got a new rMBP with 802.11ac, I am considering upgrading my Time Capsule to the new model.

Two questions, though.

1.) Will my new rMBP get the "ac" speeds or will Time Capsule default to "n" speeds if there are other devices on the network not with an "ac" card? In other words, does it support a mixed environment? Most of my "n" devices are on the 5GHz frequency. Only a few older devices are on the 2.4GHz network.

2.) Is there a way to take my current Time Capsule settings and import them to the new machine? My current configuration would be very time consuming to set up a second time.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

1) Yes... your new Retina will connect at AC even in a mixed environment.

2) Start Airport Utility now on the old TC and select the TC then click the edit button. Now go to the File menu and export the settings to a file. You can use that to import your settings to the new TC.

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Nope, it works just as expected for me. My 2013 MBA connects via AC wifi but my iPhone and 2008 MBP do not. Finder copies of large files from the MBA to the Airport internal disk show about 30MB/s read and 28MB/s write. Not bad, considering that my cheap little USB 2.0 external hard drives only get about 35MB/s. :)

4. Hammie thread starter macrumors 65816

Hammie

Thanks!

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Alternatively, when setting up the new TC simply choose "Replace an Existing Device" in AirPort Utility and follow the steps.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

For some reason, I don't always get that prompt. I have upgraded my TC a three times and I think I only got that once out of the three. Dunno why.

For that reason, I always suggest the manual export just in case.

7. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

If you don't get the setup message, press the little reset button and power it back on. Apple has the easiest setup of any router I've ever used.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It only works on a new router or one that has been reset. Simple firmware upgrades simply overwrite the software but not the configuration.

A manual export works if you want a file.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I realize all of that and as I explained, when replacing my TC with a brand new out of the box TC I do not always get that prompt. I believe over the last three upgrades I only got it one of the installs.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Oh. What version of AU were you using to set it up?

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

On 6.3.2 now, but used whatever the latest version was at the time (last June when the new TC came out).

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I don't know then. I always get the dialog when setting up a new or freshly reset AirPort.

Either way, since I use AirPort in an education environment, I keep backups of all configs. Though, since we have the centralized Extreme I really don't need to.