questions about mkv. and PS3 with a macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DaveSchneid, Jul 14, 2008.

1. DaveSchneid macrumors newbie

I'm one paycheck away from a new macbook and have 2 quick questions.

1) how is the videoplayback for big mkv files without any dedicated graphics (as of now i only have watched them on a 2.2 pc with an aging but capable Nvidia 6600 and 2 gigs of duel channel RAM, which has terriffic playback for these huge high res files, but I'm wondering if they might be slow and choppy on a macbook)

2) Is it possible to set up your macbook as a media server in order to stream stuff to a PS3

I know that a 2.4 duel core with 4 gigs or RAM will meet all my other needs so I'm gonna get the good white macbook and update the RAM regardless of whether it has these capabilities, but I'm just wondering before I purchase.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

720p works just fine via VLC and using the Perian plug-in for Quicktime.

3. DaveSchneid thread starter macrumors newbie

Good to know, as having files with better than 720p resolution would be just a waste of hdd space for a macbook with that small screen. Anyone have any success streaming media to a PS3?

4. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

Keep in mind the LCD screens on the MacBook are not the best quality. If you calibrate the screen the colors can look pretty good, but you have to be sure and look at them straight on as the viewing angle is not the best.

I've watched many movies on my MacBook's 13.3" screen when on the road and it works out well, but I prefer to hook it up to my 20" LCD screen when I am home.

If you find you get an LG panel in your MacBook there is a good monitor profile (Monitor Profile.icc) in these forums you can use to calibrate the color of your screen. If you can't find it PM me and I can send it to you.

5. matt321 macrumors member

To answer streaming to a PS3, I have used this and found it to be the cheapest solution. Unfortunately I don't know of a free version but you can try this out before you buy.

http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink