Questions about MMPR

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Drask, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Drask macrumors regular

So, I'm thinking to get one for collage (software engineering), I have an iMac 2011 but I have a few questions.

1.- I'm not much of a laptop guy, I rather work from a big screen, and since the MBPR is a better computer, can I just use my iMac as an external monitor and still get the 2560x1440 resolution?

2.- 2880x1880 is not the actual resolution of the MBPR display, is it? I heard its 1920x1200. (I mean in real state space)

3.- Can I install windows on bootcamp on it? Since it has no CD-drive is there any other way around? I don't want to waste $100 for an external since I will never use it again. (maybe through usb?)

4.- Anyone knows if I can get the student discount at a retail store even if I'm not studying withing the U.S? (I'm traveling next month to the U.S and I'd really like to save the $200, I got my student ID but it's not from the U.S, I can get the student discount at my country but its like $300 more here).

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Yes. Grab the Thunderbolt cable from Apple and the Macbook Pro can use the 2011 27" iMac as a full resolution display.

The display has 2880x1800 actual pixels. The default setting gives you the real estate equivalent of a 1440x900 display, but sharper and more detailed than a real 1440x900 display. The highest real estate setting (it's a new software scaling system) gives you the equivalent of 1920x1200 worth of real estate.

Someone will probably come up with a tweak/hack to let you use the full 2880x1800 real estate, but I think that that will be impractical to use without a magnifying glass.

Boot camp supports installing Windows via a USB thumb drive. That's already how it works on the Macbook Air.

Don't know for sure about that. Probably depends on the manager at the store. I think you would have a pretty good chance since you have a current Student ID.

3. Drask thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply!

I heard that the new MBPR doesn't support windows 7 on bootcamp because there are no drives yet, any word on apple about when or even if they will ever release them? I love mac but I really need windows on it.

Anyone else knows if I can get the student discount at an apple retail store with my student ID that's not from the U.S(I will but it in the U.S)?

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Nobody knows for sure, but I would guess that since Mountain Lion is being released next month (with free upgrade for current Mac purchases), that it will include an updated version of Bootcamp with the required drivers.

I can't imagine them not supporting Windows on this machine, at least as well as they do on other Intel Macs.