Questions about my 2010 17" Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hexero, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Hexero macrumors regular

Hello MR.
    Well, I'm about to tell a story about my MBP, some good and bad sides. And also, I want help. Questions are at the end, but please, if you want to understand my questions and frustration fully, read my story.

It started in the summer of '09. I wanted a laptop for school. I first looked into a Toshiba, and I wanted it so badly! The price-tag was around 699$, awesome for my budget! I later on asked at a Manchester United-forum, if they had any other laptops that I should look into. Two-three people recommended a Mac! "A Mac!? What the h*ll is that!" was my first respond. They told me about it, and I was just about to order a Macbook (not pro). So, my dad, who is a tech-lover likes Windows and PC. He did not see the point why Mac was a good alternative, so my purchase got delayed. We discussed about it and everything, and I came with some good arguments and so did he. I did try a friend of my friends Macbook Pro 13", and I really liked it. I was now ready to order a 17" Macbook Pro! ..but wait, there was coming new ones in Q1 of 2010! The Arrandale-Macbooks! I wanted a Mac so badly! They looked so freakin' sexy! So.. as the patience person I am.. I waited.. and waited.. and waited.. until April 2010. FINALLY!!!! They were here! ..but then again my dad's friend was in Thailand, so we looked into the possibilities for buying one from there (I made a thread earlier asking for opinions). One month later, we decided to order from the Norwegian Apple-site instead. So I bought the 15" low-end, but again, my dad is a tech-lover so he purchased the 17" i5 instead with a 7200-rpm hard-drive. Hehe, I love him. I finally purchased a Mac! Waiting 10 months for it! ..but again, thank you Iceland! Your ******ng volcano made Europe smoky.. Delayed - another month.. YES!!! My Mac was finally ready to ship. ..or no.. The transport in Norway went on a strike! WOOOHOO.. delayed another 2 weeks.. Summer was finally here, the computer I wanted for school came now, when school was over. It was finally mine, and I loved it.. for around 1 week. This happened, on the bottom. Irritating me as h*ll:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXsKxhfc9Sg
    So, I was about to cry, really. This was not happening to everybody, so it wasn't really normal. I just stopped to care about the problem, or I'm still trying. This has been a problem since I got the Mac, but I didn't notice before then. Also, my lower-left side has always made a noise. First, I thought this was the 7200-rpm HD making more noise than the 5400-rpm which is normal, but why would this come while I was surfing at MacRumors or any other site? Then, I started thinking it could be the SMS-system or w/e it's called. It isn't that either, because this sound comes all the time! When my computer is standing on the table, for example. It's not the HD, because that's on the lower-right side. It's a ticking noise + it sounds like a damaged fan, and it's NOT the SMS-system, because the sound appears all the time!

So.. that's my story. My dream-computer became a flop. I'm really sad about it, really. It has been a damaged product since I got it, and I thought every little damage was normal, until Google became my real friend and those damages became annoying.. You know, this machine costed me 3,333$ (Norway have heavy taxes)

My questions are following:
    1) How much right do I have to demand a full refund or sent a new computer from Apple if I call AppleCare now?
    2) Have you ever received a new machine or a full refund?
    3) Own thoughts?

I hope you read my story and understand my frustration. Please answer. Macrumors, you are the love of my life. Thanks.

2. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Thats hardly any real damage...a clicking noise and you want a full refund? Have you tried looking at the bottom of the computer? Are the screws there? Are they tight?

Next...take the screws out and investigate the area, it may be the grounding pins between the battery and the logic board...2 little pins on a plastic tab.

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro_17"_Unibody

There are directions.

3. Hexero thread starter macrumors regular

Yes there are screws there and yes those are tight. Yes I've tried opening the bottom and looked after 2 little pins on a plastic tab.

Did you read it all? It feels like I'm about to damage something when I put the Mac at my lap. Clicking noise? That's not everything. A fan in there is making a wind-noise all the time. It's alright for a while, but you do really get sick of it.

Just wanted to hear your thoughts and answers. Thanks for the help so far btw.

There shouldn't anyways be any need for me as a customer to try fix something Apple hardly don't want me to fix.

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Does it make the sound with the computer off?

5. Hexero thread starter macrumors regular

The sound when putting the Mac at my lap, yes. The fan-related problem, not recently. I think it have 2 times or so, but I don't remember. But in the moment I press the power button and until I either close the lap or turn it off, it makes a much louder noise than it really should.

And btw, sometimes when I close my lap, the Apple is still shining until I open up and close it again. This happens sometimes, not all the time.

6. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

wow tl;dr

It`s almost certainly one of the "isolators" that prevent the internals making contact with the backplate.
    There is one near the centre, behind the backplate which often makes an odd sound when the machine has warmed up.
    You can remove this bracket and the "tinking" glass-like sound will stop.
    Or live with it.