Questions About My First Mac Purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cobalt79, Mar 17, 2010.

1. cobalt79 macrumors member

I have multiple iPods and iPhones and am looking to purchase my first Mac -- a MacBook Pro -- once the refresh is completed.

A few questions about Macs and the MBP:

(1) How durable are MBP's? I have been following this forum fairly regularly, and have seen a disproportionate number of Mac users who have no computer currently due to a failed logic board. From what I understand, the Logic Board is the equivalent of a Mother Board.

Is this a disproportionate sample of users -- since its a forum for people who want/need a new MBP, or is this an issue with MBP's? My past 2 laptops have been Dell's, and I know over 1,000 PC users, and I think I might be the only one I know who has ever had a failed Mother Board -- and mine didn't even fry, just had a loose connection on it and Dell eventually replaced it.

(2) How is AppleCare customer support? I see its rated well, but again with respect to failed Logic Boards, it seems that these users have been given the Joan Collins Special (i.e. shaft) with respect to getting their computers fixed. I guess my true question is what does the Apple Care warranty cover and is it worthwhile to get?

(3) If I want to run Boot Camp and Windows 7 on my new MBP, what is the ideal hard drive size? I was considering getting a SSD, but at 256 GB, I'm wondering if it will be large enough to handle all the programs I will run.

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not disproportionate. You have to remember that the vast majority of Mac users, who are having no problems, aren't going to take the time to post "all is well" in a forum. By its nature, a forum attracts a small percentage of Mac users, and only those few who have problems are going to post about it. There are millions of Mac users who don't have the problems you read about here.
    There are varying opinions, but I've found AppleCare support to be very helpful. To me, it's worth the peace of mind.
    The apps that you run take up very little space, compared to the user files and data you create. It just depends on how much space you need for your files. For example, my Applications, Library and System folders are only 9GB, while my iTunes music folder alone is 154GB.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The logic board is just another name for the motherboard, nothing different here, just custom made for the MBP.
    As this is a help forum you almost only see people with problems here as the ones without don't care to really post here.
    My Macs are working fine more or less, but I don't make threads on how I don't have problems with them.

Look here for detailed information: http://www.apple.com/support/products/
    via http://www.google.com/search?client...oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&ei=_QWhS7bPN42Z_Qb35L2aCw

In short, all manufacturing defects are covered, accidental damage of any part is not, and sometimes a visible damage may void the warranty, as Apple can not be sure if that accident which caused the damage may have caused the problem.

The size depends on what you wanna do with Mac OS X and Windows.

There is the after market option to OptiBay your MBP, meaning replacing the optical drive with an HDD and replacing the HDD with an SSD as a boot drive.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Applecare is generally nice. However, if you have a borderline case, or want only partial work done, forget about it. Then they are absolute hell to deal with.

Oh, and Macbook Pro's are quite durable, as long as you're not talking about the case. Aluminum is a weak metal, and easily dinged, scratched, or dented.

5. cobalt79 thread starter macrumors member

That is my worry with Apple Care. From my limited dealings with Apple, I find that they look for excuses to avoid paying. It bothers me in that their bread and butter is in the mobile device market, yet they don't let you replace your own battery, change casings, etc. You would think that they would either put together a more durable/practical product or adapt to users' needs.