Questions about my iMac hard drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by IMAC!, Jul 7, 2014.

1. IMAC! macrumors newbie

So in 2010 i bought my first iMac, an awesome 27 incher, after about a year i noticed that it was producing some annoying, grinding sound that pissed me off even though its not that loud, but you can still clearly hear it when sitting in front of it.

Anyway, i went to the Apple Store, they replaced the hard drive for free, i took the iMac home and it was silent again. Then about 4-5 months after the replacement, the SAME exact grinding/hard drive noise was back again, so i eventually took it back to the Apple Store, they had it for a week, then gave it back to me without replacing anything because they 'couldn't replicate the issues i was having', and that maybe my issue was 'environmental'... yeah right.

So my question now is, am i able to call out some local IT company to my house, give them a brand new different hard drive, and get them to replace my old hard drive for the new one? (assuming they would have all the tools to open the iMac and replace the HD)

Also are SSD's worth it? And would i be able to put in an SSD instead of another hard drive?

Thanks in advanced for any replies.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

SSDs are worth it, as they're way faster than regular HDDs. And since they've no moving parts, they're far less likely to fail compared to HDDs.

An SSD-equipped Mac boots up in just 10-15 seconds.

3. PixelpusherBV macrumors member

Just throwing this out there, but there's no disk in the dvd drive is there?
    Sometimes I forget to remove the dvd after ripping & the disk would spin up now & again & make what I would describe as a 'grinding' noise.

Don't mean to insult your intelligence - you probably would know if it was that, but thought id ask:)