Questions about my new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kh3khalid, Apr 14, 2013.

1. kh3khalid macrumors regular

Hi all

I finally received my 2.3, 15" cMBP (mid-2012) today. It's my first Mac.

So, I am new to Mac OS X and I've got some question about the hardware + the software:

1- What is the best method to clean the screen (Anti-glare)?

2- Most likely I'm going to buy two of these 8GB Crosair RAMs, but in the description it says that it's working on 1.35V, not 1.5V. So is it the same as mine? Will it work with no problems? Also, this RAM is only under 1 year warranty. What are the chances of it failing after the 1 year?

3- My MBP shipped with OSX 10.8.3, but in the store, Mountain Loin is not in the purchased section, and it shows me the option of buying it. Why is that? What if I replace my HDD for a SSD in the future? How will I be able to download ML again? Especially that the recovery assistant tool only created a Loin backup in my external thumb drive. So if I recover my OS from that drive, it'll install Loin.

4- When I added my hotmail account to the Mail app, it only imported Inbox folder. My other folders that I have organised are not showing. What is the problem?

5- Regarding the battery, I charged it to full when I first opened the machine, then used it to 80% and now it's plugged in and fully charged. Do I need to unplug the power cable if the battery is full? Or can I use it normally? What about when I'm sleeping? Do I keep it plugged in or not?

Thanks!

2. negativzero macrumors 6502

First, welcome to the world of Macs :)

1 - Static duster. Or alcohol wipes if there are fingerprints and oil stains.

2 - Yes they will work. But if you're afraid of failure after 1 year might I suggest taking another brand like Crucial instead with lifetime warranty.

3 - Mountain Lion is specifically linked with that MacBook exclusively.

4 - There is a tab for your hotmail folder below, have you clicked it to expand the outbox and other folders???

5 - Just use it as normal. And do a full discharge once every month.

3. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I could be wrong, but isn't this not recommended for the new battery technology? I thought this wasn't necessary anymore.

4. kh3khalid thread starter macrumors regular

How is that? Lets say I upgraded my HDD, how will I get Mountain Loin after recovering from the Loin thumb drive that I have?

There are no tabs any near the hotmail folder.

All I want is to sync all my hotmail account emails and folders like my iPad. It should be possible, right?

Well, define normal :D Is it normal to keep it plugged in all night when sleeping?

5. negativzero macrumors 6502

Doesn't just apply to Macs but iDevices and other computers and phones too.
    http://www.apple.com/sg/batteries/

6. Snowshiro macrumors 6502

Forgive me, it's a bit of a side point, but I noticed you spelled it Mountain Loin 3 times. I'm not normally a spelling nazi, but I thought you might find it useful to know that it's "Lion" for future reference. ("Mountain Loin" sounds like a nasty medical condition affecting hill walkers).

7. gmikesell macrumors regular

I'd like an answer to your question 4 also. I've never been able to get that to work. The best I can come up with is that it just isn't available. I have the ios mail app active for an incoming email notification but use the hotmail web client to do my actual mail organization.

8. Orlandoech, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013

Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Any DDR3 SODIMM 1600MHz ram will work. It doesn't need a special "Mac compatible" sticker on it for it to work.

And almost all memory manufacturers offers Lifetime Warrantys.

I only use a damp micro fiber cloth. I've seen alcohol based products strip te anti glare film off the screen.

9. kh3khalid thread starter macrumors regular

No problem man :D Thanks for the note.

10. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Is your hotmail account set up as IMAP (both enabled at the hotmail site and the mail app?

I have a few different IMAP accounts including gmail (none hotmail) and they all work just fine.

----------

-3: 10.8.3 is Mountain Lion and is only available via download from the application store. Apple has gone away from CDs.

"3- My MBP shipped with OSX 10.8.3, but in the store, Mountain Loin is not in the purchased section, and it shows me the option of buying it. Why is that? What if I replace my HDD for a SSD in the future? How will I be able to download ML again? Especially that the recovery assistant tool only created a Loin backup in my external thumb drive. So if I recover my OS from that drive, it'll install Loin."

Mountain Lion is registered to your machine ID (and apple ID if/when you set it up) . The app store knows that your machine ID is authorized for mountain lion and will download it.

As you become more familiar with the mac you will find that when swapping drives, use something like Carbon Copy Cloner (free for a month) to clone your internal drive to the new drive, swap the drive, done. No downloads necessary.