Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
Here is my story:

I have Intego Netbarrier installed. Last night I was surfing around in Firefox. I don't know if any of you know how Netbarrier works, but it lets you allow or block an outgoing connection from a specific program.

I opened Netbarrier up and looked at my Firefox settings. And it had a list for port 7000 and port 8444. If I remember correctly, port 7000 was blocked and 8444 was allowing outgoing connections through Firefox. I know the legitmate use of port 7000 is afs3-fileserver. And the legitimate use for port 8444 is PCSync. I have no idea why these popped up in my rules for outgoing connections through Firefox. I'm not using a file server or PCSync.

The thing that scared me, was that I don't remember ever being asked to set those rules for Netbarrier. And I'm wondering if something could be trying to use these ports for malicious activity.

I was wondering how do I find out what, if anything is using port 7000 or port 8444? I've used the command:

lsof -i

in terminal, but I'm kinda confused on how to read it. I don't see anything listed that lists the ports being used. I'm a Terminal newbie. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.