Questions about new 13" MBP screen.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LarryC, Jul 30, 2011.

1. LarryC, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

LarryC macrumors 6502

LarryC

Hello everyone, I am the very happy owner of a new entry-level 13" MBP and I had a couple of questions regarding the screen. I remember seeing threads in the past about a test to see if you have any dead or malfunctioning pixels on your monitor. In looking through previous questions I found suggestions for checking monitors/screens for the larger 15 and 17 inch screens, but nothing for the 13". Does anyone have any advice for me? Another thing I noticed in another thread was that it is possible to see or find out which company manufactured the screen on your particular laptop. I guess that some manufacturers are considered better than others. How do I tell who made the screen on mine? Thank you, in advance, for any replies to my questions. I have to say that I am having no problems with my new laptop or its screen. I think it has a fantastic screen and pictures on it look beautiful. This is my first Apple laptop and so far, I am very happy with my purchase. I did upgrade the RAM to 8 GB and that changed the video RAM to 512 MB. The only other planned upgrade is to one day change the hard drive to a larger model. But for now, that is not an issue. Thanks again.

2. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

There's no difference between checking for dead/bright pixels on a 13" or a 15/17" aside from there being less pixels...

copy & paste this into Terminal

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

and that should give you the model #, then you can google it to find the manufacturer

3. LarryC thread starter macrumors 6502

LarryC

aeboi, thank you so much for your reply. I can't wait to try this later tonight.