questions about nmblookup and DirectoryService

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by orijinal, Jan 30, 2008.

1. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

Hi,

I have Little Snitch running on my Mac, and I notice most of the programs that are soliciting connections are those I have seen before, but some I'm still wondering what they're exactly doing.

"DirectoryService" connects to 192.168.2.1 (I'm on a wireless router, if this helps).

"Finder via nmblookup" was connecting to : 192.168.2.255.

Can anyone tell me what these processes are, and what they're doing?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Learn to use the man command line tool :p

man DirectoryService tells us :

DirectoryService -- DirectoryService daemon (a part of Mac OS X's Open Directory architecture)

then a lot of descriptive text

man nmblookup tells us :

nmblookup - NetBIOS over TCP/IP client used to lookup NetBIOS names

So this would be looking up the names of shared Windows computers/Macs with Windows sharing on.

3. orijinal thread starter macrumors 6502

orijinal

Oh, I've done a ton of research on both... but all in this network jargon I can't understand. why would Finder be doing this? i don't have anything else on my WiFi besides myself and my xbox... the finder is also doing this randomly. I only have safari/ichat running. Does your nmblookup connect randomly?

4. Wanderer509 macrumors member

i too have a question about nmblookup. i dont know where it came from, it just happened one day! anyways i do have a windows computer on wireless router network as well as a ps3. any helps? thanks! i am on 10.5.1 leopard n it asks me about nmblookup connection access when i start up

5. Kabeyun macrumors 6502a

Kabeyun

I tried disabling it in the Little Snitch Config app, and I was warned not to disable a protected rule, necessary for smooth system operation. Still don't know where it came from.

-K

6. djfour macrumors newbie

anything bad happen from blocking finder via nmblookup?