Questions about older MBAs

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by krogers34, Jul 14, 2011.

1. krogers34 macrumors member

I am thinking about getting an older MBA (2010, maybe 2009) on craigslist (yeah, yeah I know the problems with that but I have had good luck so far on there) and had some questions.

First, do they heat up really fast? I have a 2008 macbook and it heats up incredibly fast and I am looking for something that does not do that. I know this is a broad question, but maybe someone can help me.

Second, what are the main differences to a SSD? Not the biggest issue, but I have heard they are awesome.

That is really all I have for now, and that heating up thing is a big one. Hope someone can help me.

Thanks for your help!

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Regular mba hd's go at 4200 rpm, SLOW........ The older MBA's were reported to have heating issues as well. Been looking on CL a lot, and a lot of people either a) don't know which model they have (ie, trying to pass a '09 off as a '10) or b) are trying to use confusion over the various models to sell an older generation model at a premium. People selling models they BOUGHT in 2010 which were discounted 09 models, and so forth.

Looks like no candy today for macbook air purchasers.:(

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

There's a guy on my local CL trying to sell a '10 13" ultimate for $1200 or best offer. I'm wondering what the performance difference between the old and the new would be. I'm thinking if I can get him down to $1100, that may be a heckuva deal, but not if the new model is going to blow it out of the water.

4. Scarrus macrumors regular

The new model IS going to blow it out of the water.

5. saulinpa macrumors 6502

If you look at the 13" MacBook Pro - going to the i5/i7 series processors almost doubled the Geekbench score.

That said, for what I use my 2009 2.13/SSD for it keeps up just fine. It does get warm when pushed but that isn't often for me.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. I presumed they'd just put i3's or dual core i5 due to heat and battery considerations (cough) marketing (cough) forced upselling (cough).

And I seem to recall the i3's being basically tweaked out core 2 duos in terms of performance. Eh, guess I'll just hold onto my money and my macbook collector's edition. For now.