Questions about pictures

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hatcher146, Jun 21, 2007.

1. hatcher146 macrumors 6502

I have a flickr account. and today i uploaded photos of unpacking the macbook. when i uploaded them onto my new macbook and then onto flickr i noticed that the picture quality on flickr wasnt very good.

i thought it may just be my macbook but then i looked on my pc and the pictures were not very good. so i uploaded the same picture that i uploaded on my macbook onto flickr using my pc and when i uploaded it on flickr on my pc the quality was much better. how do i make the quality of the photo that i uploaded on my macbook look the same that i did on my pc?

i also have just noticed that with the photo i have uploaded with my pc onto flickr it says "properties" but with the photo that i have uploaded with my macbook there is no "properties" any help would be appreciated thanks!

2. hatcher146 thread starter macrumors 6502

bump....

i just noticed something else. when i upload photos to my PC the pictures are about 4 MB but i just looked on iPhoto and the same photos that i uploaded to my PC that i uploaded to my macbook were around 34 KB? i dont understand. and when i upload photos to my facebook or myspace the photos are small and not great quality, but when i upload them using my PC they look great. is there a way to fix this? or is this just the way the macbook uploads photos onto websites? thanks if anyone could help!

3. Frisco macrumors 68020

That's strange. I am sorry can't really help you, but post your question here and maybe someone will know.

If you find out what your problem was please let us know.

Congrats on your new Mac!

4. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

You may be uploading the thumbnails instead of the original photos. iPhoto creates a thumbnail of your original photo when importing them.

5. hatcher146 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks alot. i just posted it there! thanks for the discussion group info!

6. hatcher146 thread starter macrumors 6502

how do i check to see which i am uploading??

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

How are you uploading them to flickr? Are you using the Flickr iPhoto plugin, or doing it by hand?

If you're doing it by hand, *do not* go digging around the iPhoto library. One easy way, if you're not using the plugin, is to select the choose file button in Flickr, and then switch to iPhoto, and drag the photo into the Flickr file dialog. Especially works nicely if you're using Exposé on hot corners. Otherwise, you can also drag the photo from iPhoto to the desktop and then choose the copy that's on the desktop.

8. hatcher146 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks alot for that! also what about uploading them to myspace? everytime i try it gives me an error and says "A file you selected is not supported and was automatically removed"

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I believe MySpace automatically resizes images to some extent... if you want them in your MySpace photo album, I'm not sure what you can do to avoid that. If you just want them on your profile, you could certainly put them on Flickr and then put them into your profile page using HTML tags.

I'd start with getting Flickr working first. Once you understand how to transfer photos from iPhoto to Flickr, you'll probably figure out the MySpace issue pretty naturally.

Another thing to look at is that, if you have iPhoto downsize the images to begin with, you can let it do a better job than Flickr or MySpace -- there's an export option in the menus, and then you can define a maximum pixel size for your images (so you're not uploading 6 or 8 megapixel images). Then you can dump a stack of them onto the desktop and put those into Flickr. I think the plugin also lets you do this easily, although it's been a while since I used it.

10. hatcher146 thread starter macrumors 6502

alright, ill give that a try. thanks alot you have been very helpful!

11. hatcher146 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok everything was working fine but when it finished it said invalid signature. what does that mean?!

12. hatcher146 thread starter macrumors 6502

nevermind. all is well now. i just gotta figure out now why myspace resizes my images! grrr. thanks guys for the help! :)

EDIT-i figured it out. i was looking at the "data" pictures instead of the "originals" haha.

new mac user here. thanks everyone.