Questions about Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Tresforce, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Tresforce macrumors newbie

is it normal for dads to do blood tests during pregnancy or is that just to find out if he is the real father of the soon-to-be baby?

2. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

It could be to find out if he's the real father, but it also could be to test for certain recessive genes. For example, a child can be born with cystic fibrosis only if both parents are carriers of the gene for cystic fibrosis. If the mom tests positive, then the dad also must be tested.

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Seems like I remember there being something about knowing both parents blood types to check for compatible RH factors...

I am not a Dr, but according to this link:

http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/rhfactor/a/aa050601a.htm

There can be issues if the Mom is RH- and the Father is RH+.

I would think if the Father does NOT know his blood type, then they would do a test to verify that...

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You have nothing to fear, but the test itself.

Is there some reason for concern, such that that "you" would prefer not to undergo the test???

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

My son was born two months ago, and I did not have a blood test. My wife had all of the blood tests, and I assume that since nothing came up there, they didn't have to check to me. For instance, her cystic fibrosis screen came back negative, so the chances of her being a carrier were extremely low. And if she wasn't a carrier, it didn't really matter if I was or not. My wife is RH-, and while they could have tested to see if I was also RH- (I'm RH+), in which case she wouldn't have needed the Rhogam shots, they give them to all RH- mothers just to be safe.

Although I suppose some doctors would recommend blood tests for the father in order to have the most complete picture possible, it doesn't necessarily need to be done unless there is a specific reason for it or something in the mother's results require that the father also be checked.

6. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

My wife gave birth 4 months ago. They only reason I would have been checked would have been if she came back having some genes for genetic disorders.. since she didnt i didnt need to.

Just cause you need a blood test doesnt mean anything initially

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

:confused:

Why would you not want to know as much as possible??

Sorry, I just don't "get it".

8. Tresforce thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not objecting to get the testing done or anything, and i could see the point of wanting to know everything. Its just that my girlfriend and I got together 2 months ago, and now shes 2 months pregnant, so its kinda borderline if it was me or her ex. I guess its just human nature to be scared about what we don't fully know. I was just wondering if its a normal thing for dads to get blood tests during pregnancy cause in every book, website i looked at it didnt mention anything about it. And i was just wondering if she asked me to get it done so she could find out without me knowing or it was just standard procedure is all.

9. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Ah, the whole truth surfaces. I can only speak of my experience. I have had two children and neither time did my doctor ask for blood from the father. But there are no health issues in mine or the father's history to warrant them either.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

2 month pregnant equals 3 months conception.

You have to search your own heart on this one.

Talking is always a good start.

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

"Two months pregnant" means that conception was roughly 6-7 weeks ago, not three months. The pregnancy calendar starts from the date of the start of the last menstrual period.

12. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Make an appointment with the doctor and talk to her about the blood test. If your girlfriend was doing a paternal test, I can't imagine that a doctor would release the results to her alone. Most doctors would insure that you both received the results.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Wrong.

Unless both parties are present, the doctor is bound by the doctor/patient confidentiality agreement.

14. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

No, but like some of the posts said, there may be a reason behind it as opposed to paternity so just ask.

15. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

That's kind of what I was getting at. If they take a sample of your blood, you should be able to know what they are using it for and, I think that both people are informed before a paternity test is performed.

16. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Yes it is in human nature. So don't worry.

The best thing to do is talk to her.You're having a baby with her and this is wonderful. You should be honest with each other and learn to put your fears beside and talk about them!!

Don't worry.Everything is going to be fine!:)

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Get a blood test for a paternity test. Make her get tested as well for that very reason. Go to the same doctor, and go together.

In this situation, I'd check to make sure that I was the father.

18. Phillyzero macrumors regular

Phillyzero

Both of you need to be more open, has she said that you are specifically the far thus far?

19. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I hate to be the one to say this, but has she considered abortion? Even if you do stay together and eventually want to have kids, is this really the way to start a family?

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

thats gonna raise some hell lol

i'll start: why should the kid be punished?

21. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

My girlfriend/fiance is 16 weeks pregnant. So i have learned a few things :p.

The only reason i can think of for the male to have a blood test is to see one of a couple things.

--Blood type. To see if there will be a problem with the RH like aross said. It wont hurt this baby, but if conditions are right it could hurt the second one. All that has to happen is the mom gets a little shot, problem solved.

--Genetic disorders, and diseases that your not aware of.

--If you really are the father.

But frankly testing DNA during pregnancy is just wrong in my book. Wait until it's born and get a swab from it's cheek.

And remember, If you live in the USA (not sure about any other country) you have no rights to the baby until until it's born, and she puts your name on the birth certificate.

Until then the doctor is not obligated to tell you anything about her or the baby. Unless she signs a form saying it's ok for you to receive information.

22. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

What kid? As a supporter of a woman's right to choose, I believe there is no "child" at this point in the pregnancy.

But there's no need to start inflammatory rhetoric. Everyone knows that many people are opposed to abortion, but this woman needs to decide what's right for herself. That should include balancing the life that her child would have if she were to carry this pregnancy to term, her own priorities, and the priorities of the father.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's rather unfair.

24. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Then let's keep the thread on topic and let them decide for themselves. He asked about a test, nothing else.
    :rolleyes:

25. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

True...men have no rights after the baby is born, either.

OP: Is this test her idea or yours?