Questions about RAID 0

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by owensky, Jul 11, 2013.

1. owensky macrumors member

Hello all,

I have a few questions about RAID 0. I do not really understand what RAID is but from what I understand it makes things a lot faster.

1. Is it possible to do on a retina Macbook Pro?

2. Do you need at least 2 drives?

3. Is it more prone to failing compared to a normally configured rMBP?

If you have any more information that would be helpful please let me know.

Thanks for your time

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

1) Nope

The rest is irrelevant now, but I will answer anyways

2) Yes

3)Not more prone to failing but when it does it is worse because you lose everything if one dies because only half the data is on the good one. = total loss.

Don't worry about RAID 0 to be honest. It's fun but real world performance of one SSD to a raid 0 setup is not that noticeable for everyday tasks. If at all. It's most noticeable in straight large file transfer only really.

3. owensky thread starter macrumors member

Good to know. I thought it would be faster because I saw some videos on YouTube and it was configured in RAID 0 and they were getting crazy speeds 950MB/s read. Thanks for the info.

4. gametime10 macrumors regular

5. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

They said Retina...?

----------

I'm definitely not saying it's not faster, just that with everyday stuff you wouldn't notice it.

Only a small amount of people would benefit from it enough to justify the risk of the data loss aspect, never mind the cost or anything like that.

It would be noticeable in file transfers, but unless you're moving 20gb files don't worry about it:)

6. hajduk78 macrumors newbie

hajduk78

Slow RAID 0 on MacBook Pro 13" 9,2

Hi all.
    I would need some help for the configuration of my new MacBook Pro RAID 0 setup.
    Recently I bought the non retina MacBook Pro 13" with i7 2.9 Ghz, 750GB HDD and 8GB RAM. I purchased a data doubler from eBay, not the OWC one, just a common Chinese product for the DVD Superdrive tray. Then I' got two Samsungs SSD 840 PROs 512 GB to put in RAID 0. I did the RAID 0 setup and a clean MAC OSX install through the 750 HDD that I took out, and what I get on Blackmagic speed is something ridiculous slow like 130 MB/s in write, and 350 MB/s in read speed.
    I haven't tried enabling TRIM, I tried to update the SSDs firmware, but the MacBook Pro was giving me some weird message that there is no bootable disk on the system. I was booting from the CD, so I don't know what could be wrong in that? I tried the same CD in my older MacBook Pro mid 2009, and the CD worked fine.
    Maybe I did something wrong?
    Can you give me a few suggestions how to improve the speed? It should be over 900 MB/s in both read and write...

7. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

the chance of failing is twice as high :D?

8. newdeal macrumors 68020

actually you can do it on a rMBP by using an external RAID thunderbolt enclosure. There are multiple types of RAID, one of them mirrors your data so you have an exact backup of your drive but it operates at the same speed. One of them writes your two drives as if they are one big drive with one being at the end of the other and therefore the same speed. Yet another reads and writes from both at the same time so it doubles the speed. To me this doubles your failure rate as if you lose one drive the whole array is lost (except with the mirrored raid which is designed to be a backup system). If you do the RAID that doubles the speed you likely won't notice a huge difference in speed unless you write large files

9. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Actually...yes.

I meant if you have two, you have the risk of two failing instead of one. As in if one fails, you're screwed.

Maybe it wasn't the best wording but my point still stands.

10. Djlild7hina, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013

Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

The 13 MBP's hard drive SATA port is SATA 3 6 GB/s and the DVD SATA port is SATA 2 3GB/s. So you won't be getting the most out of your drives with this setup.