Questions About Replacement Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thirdykal, Feb 17, 2010.

1. thirdykal macrumors member

I'm getting my Mid-2007 Macbook replaced under Applecare, but I have a question about user-upgradeable parts. My Macbook shipped with 1GB installed RAM, but after experiencing daily kernel panics under OSX and blue screens of death under Windows Bootcamp, I went out and spent over $100 on 4GB of Kingston 800Mhz DDR2 RAM. I now understand that this is not the same type of RAM that comes with the Late 2009 models, and is therefore incompatible. My question is what happens now? I was having problems with my RAM before I went out and bought my own, is that money now wasted? Or if I ship it with the 4GB to Apple will they offer me some sort of compensation for having to go and buy my own RAM on a computer that eventually, a few months later, would turn out to be so faulty it needed to be replaced?

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

The original RAM, if indeed faulty, would've been covered under AppleCare. Since you're getting it replaced entirely, they'll replace it with the closest (or better) equivalent configuration. If you had base (factory) RAM in the old one, that's what you'll get in the new one (though it may still be more than before).

Faulty new RAM is rare, particularly in an "as-installed" machine. I doubt you'll have any issues with the new one (I've had one bad stick in over 30 years, and this goes back to 16K RAM cards). If it is problematic, Apple will replace it under warranty.

3. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

If they are already replacing your machine for you, I wouldn't worry too much about it and just enjoy what they give you

4. Hmac macrumors 68020

Yes, the money you spent on the additional RAM is wasted. You won't get it back unless you pull it and sell it somewhere.