Questions about replacing the phone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Castle87, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Castle87 macrumors regular

Alright so my iphone 5 has been a little buggy to say the least. It never holds my wifi connection and safari crashes whenever it feels like crashing. I'm planning on going to an apple store on friday but I have a few questions.

-I've heard some say it's a software problem and to just wait it out, Verizon already has a patch out for their users, but I haven't heard anything about AT&T doing the same, others say it's a hardware issue and I'll be fine once I replace my phone. Anybody dealing with the same problems I am and if so, how did you handle it?

-I bought my phone through AT&T, does this make a difference? Or will I be able to swap free of charge?

-Do they give me a new sim card or do they take out the sim I'm using now and put it in a new phone?

Also, I spent like $20 on a screen protector, I would hope they'd give me a free one since the phone I put it on will become unusable, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

2. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

they'll probably try to convince you to hold off till a software update, no update for verizon, maybe the carrier settings, but the rest is up to Apple.

Sim card is not related to wifi, so no ne sim card.

forget about the screen protector.

3. Castle87 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I just scheduled my appointment for Friday, we'll see how it goes :rolleyes:

:(.......:mad:

4. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

win some loose some, maybe try to get a discounton the phone

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its all software related issues.
    I know about the wifi issue since Im having it too. It would need a firmware update most likelly to fix that.
    Also try a restore and setup as new to see if that makes a difference.
    I'd wait for it cause your replacement might have the same issues and maybe worst. You have a whole year warranty left on it anyway.
    The sim card stays the same. They dont care or warranty your $20 screen protector. They just replace your phone.
    You can remove it and put it on the new one or whatever. I bought 10 screen protectors for $2.99 so Im sure you will find more available. Try to stay away from $20 or $60 screen protectors, they're bad for your wallet:D

6. Castle87 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, trying a restore as we speak. We'll see what happens

7. Castle87 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright well I just finished doing a complete restore. It seems a tad zippier than it was before, so that's good news.

As far as the wifi, it looks like it's holding? Before, it would lose the connection as soon as it went to sleep. Everytime I unlocked it I would see the 4G icon. Now when I unlock it it's still in wifi mode.

I turned it off and turned it back on, and it was 4G, I had to manually click on my wifi in order for it to connect, but that is a serious step up from before. Before the restore, if I went into the wifi settings, it would either freeze, or just keep searching for my wifi and never find it, unless I turned the phone off and on. So it looks like my problem is solved? We'll see how it holds up.

I would encourage anyone facing the same problem to do a restore. The sooner the better. I've only had this for a little over a week so I didn't have to back up a whole lot of stuff.

8. Castle87 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, that lasted a day. My phone is back to having the same problems. Damn you, Apple. What a botch job on this release.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The wifi is a well known issue with many iphone 5 users.
    Not sure if replacing it will make any difference untill Apple fixes it with a firmware update.
    Doesnt hurt to try though.

10. Castle87 thread starter macrumors regular

We'll see. I now turn cellular data off when I'm home so it's forced to find my wifi and it usually helps in the short term. It may very well be the firmware because even some 4 and 4S users are complaining about wifi since upgrading to ios6. I'm gonna hold out and hope apple delivers a fix.