Questions about "Reset" on iPad 3 with Verizon 4G Cellular

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iTunen, Jul 8, 2012.

1. iTunen macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have an iPad 3 with original Verizon 4G sim card that I activated when I first setup my iPad. I am wanting to give this iPad to a family member and I want to reset it to factory specs. Here are my questions:

(Part 1) Which "reset" option should I use under the "General"..."Reset" settings, and

(Part 2) if I reset the iPad, does it automatically reset the currently installed & active Verizon sim card which in now registered with my Verizon cellular account information, or do I need to contact Verizon to remove my account information from this sim card so that my brother can set up his own cellular account with Verizon for this sim card? Or, is a new sim card required for a new cellular account to be set up?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. patrickj macrumors regular

1. IF you are certain that you have synced and or backed up all the data you need, then the cleanest way to do a reset is to nuke both data and settings from it. So that would be the 'Erase All Content and Settings' option. If you're not 100% sure on data being backed up and you absolutely trust the family member, you might prefer to just go with Reset All Settings.

2. I've not owned a Verizon iPad but I've had several AT&T models. Althought things *should* work OK by just wiping the settings, I have found it's best to talk to the cellular provider as well, as the cellular data number may still be linked to your existing account - I had that happen once when passing on an iPad to a friend. You'll want to know your cellular data number when you contact Verizon - and you'll find it under Settings > General > About - just below the Serial Number entry.

3. iTunen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you patrickj, I appreciate your advice. :)