Questions About "Restoring" Jailbroken iPhone 3GS For Resale

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Agent 21, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Agent 21 macrumors regular

I'm elidgeable for the "new contract" price if I upgrade to the iPhone 4 so I'm going to upgrade once the AT&T stores start selling them (which is supposed to be Tuesday, the 29th). My phone has been wacky for awhile now. Everytime I install/update anything, be it App Store, Cydia, etc, the phone automatically reboots into safe mode. It also does this randomly sometimes when browsing in Safari, or everytime when trying to view a .PDF file. I haven't restored and re-jailbroken because I'm on a launch day 3.0 3GS and awhile back was told on these forums that I should preserve my baseband (or maybe it was bootrom, I get the 2 mixed up) to make it more valueable for resale and I haven't been entirely sure if I could restore and re-JB while doing so.

Anyway, on to the point. I'm just going to upgrade since I'm elidgeable and want to sell this phone (eBay or Craigslist, whichever gives the best opportunity) to pay for it so I have a few questions:

1 - How would I go about restoring the phone to the way it came from the factory, and preserve my baseband/bootrom (again, I get them mixed up, but whichever is the one that's really desireable on a launch day 3GS)? I want all personal data to be wiped (naturally)

2 - I'm sure I can get WAY more money for it if I then JB and unlock it, so what would be the best method to go about that? Do I need my SIM card in during this process?

My "specs" are as follows (don't know if all of it is relevant, but Im providing as much info as possible):

Phone: Launch-Day 32GB 3GS
    Firmware: 3.0
    Jailbreak: PurleRa1n RC2
    Computer: PC with Windows XP Home
    iTunes Version: 8.2.0.23
    Files Saved In Cydia: NO (long story), but I do have all those things the Dev Team told us to extract and save somewhere way back before the 3GS could even be jailbroken. I believe they are the ECID, iBSS, and iBEC. I also have the custom file that you were supposed to use to put the phone through the restore process in order to capture the iBSS and iBEC files. It's called something like "iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore".

I don't know how to check my bootrom or baseband versions, but I'm assuming they haven't changed since I got the phone since I've never upgraded the FW from 3.0, so whatever those to specs are for a launch-day 3.0FW 3GS are what mine should be.

I have general knowledge of all of this, I'm not a clueless "n00b" lol, but I don't have the level of understanding that a lot of people have here which is why I'm asking. All the different methods of jailbreaking/unlocking are what end up confusing me. I don't know which I should use to get the end result I want (preserving the most valueable/desireable phone specs while jailbreaking and unlocking in order to get the most money out of a resale).

Sorry for the lengthy post, just trying to be thorough. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Agent 21 thread starter macrumors regular

** BUMP **

Anyone? I know there are a bunch of threads on all the different JBs and restoring, but I'm trying to do it a specific way (preserve all my launch day specs) so I'm confused as to which method(s) I need to use for the end result I want.