Questions about return

Discussion in 'iMac' started by weelob, Oct 26, 2014.

1. weelob macrumors newbie

Even though I ordered the i7 m295x riMac, I've decided that I rather want a higher spec Windows machine as I'll probably start gaming again at some point.

I know that Apple says themself that they can't cancel a shipment when it's preparing for dispatch, atleast according to the website. Have anyone tried returning a item to them / refusing shipment? How long did it take before the money was transfered back to your account?

Hopefully the customer service rep I'm going to call in morning can help me and maybe even do some magic to cancel my order before it's actually shipped, but I don't have my hopes up high for that.

I'm a european customer if that makes any difference.

2. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Worst case, if they can't stop the delivery in process, they will just issue you a return label. Slap it on the box that arrives over the other label and drop it off at a shipment center (whichever carrier they use in your country), or schedule a pickup at your home/office.

3. weelob thread starter macrumors newbie

Hopefully in worst case I can just reject receiving the package if UPS delivers it so I wouldn't have to deal with that

4. Einz macrumors regular

Einz

There is no restocking fee anymore. Might as well open it and play with it for a few days then return it.

5. weelob thread starter macrumors newbie

Nah already decided. My dad will get one on Tuesday so I can play around with his haha :)

6. auwkeung macrumors member

Well, it depends on where you live.

In Hong Kong, Apple Online Store still charge a 25% restocking fee for opened items, and 15% for unopened items.

7. Vladislav macrumors regular

25% and 15%? you must be joking :D You mean they charge one quarter of 3000$ for an opened imac? i call BS

8. weelob thread starter macrumors newbie

A little update:

Called Apple and a customer service rep told me she should be able to notice UPS about the order, and send it right back to their stock while it's still in transit, so I should have my money back within 5-7 business days which is great.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

9. Cameryn12 macrumors member

I was able to return my retina iMac 27" to my Apple Store the day after I got it (gaming causes temperature overheat in the GPU). I'd check to see if this is also an option for you depending on where in Europe you are.

10. ichii macrumors 6502

ichii

Really, What games did you play? I do some gaming so that got me a little worried. What GPU/CPU combo did you get.

11. Cameryn12 macrumors member

The m295X chip. Someone pointed out that the m290 was noted as running 'hot' but so far there's nothing from AMD on this subject. I really started noticing issues about 30 minutes into play and that's when I noticed the temperature.

12. macmee Suspended

macmee

If you have Apple Care why care?

13. aggri1 macrumors 6502

AppleCare only goes for three years. My iMac's GPU died shortly before my AppleCare expired, so hopefully I can get another couple of years from mine. I doubt it'll be worth fixing them once they're five or more years old.

It's too bad that Target Display Mode requires a functional graphics card hey?

14. Cameryn12 macrumors member

You realize Apple Care is not an instant magic fix, right? It means slogging it to the Apple Store and leaving it there, for up to a week or longer. I can't be without a main computer.

15. macmee Suspended

macmee

Would you rather have a broken $4000 computer with nobody willing to fix it for free? What do you expect Apple to do, replace it on the spot :rolleyes:

16. Serban Suspended

no overheating here....playing league of legends/stacraft2. M295X

17. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

Yes. deliver a new one and then I use that box to ship them the defective one :)

18. Cameryn12 macrumors member

Sorry, no, that's not what I was after. I have an issue with the use of a mobile GPU chip with intensive heat issues being put on the motherboard of this machine, so I'm going to wait until the next iteration to see if things have worked out okay.

19. macmee Suspended

macmee

You're the only one I've seen who has these heat issues. Was your Mac running hot? Did it specifically shut it self off? Did you exchange it and have the same problem with the new one?

Then go buy a crappy $500 hp and have fun with that.

20. Cameryn12 macrumors member

No, other people are reporting that the GPU is running at high 90s-low 100s C at normal load for gaming on the Retina iMac. This is above the reported upper limits on GPUs at the moment, especially ones that are embedded on the motherboard. I'm just… shall we say… less willing to be a test case for an issue I think will be a discussion point down the road.

I'm still an enormous fan of the Retina iMac, but I spend most of my time on my home computer gaming, as opposed to doing other things like web browsing.

21. macmee Suspended

macmee

If it were really that hot wouldnt it shut off at 100? Not calling you a liar just being skeptical. I don't see people complaining about over heating.

iMacs and MacBooks generally run hot. Could you post a video maybe showing the temps increasing as you do something exhausting like play a game?

22. Cameryn12 macrumors member

It's the GPU that was going that hot, not the CPU. The GPU has no built-in fan. And a spike or two isn't going to kill it - it's *constant* use at that temperature range that will have an impact down the road. Is it fixable? Sure. Is it something I want to deal with on a $3700 machine? No.

23. macmee Suspended

macmee

can you post proof please because yours is the first case I've heard of this.

24. aggri1 macrumors 6502

Oh come on, iMacs have been notorious for failed graphics cards for years now...:)

25. Cameryn12 macrumors member

No, because as I indicated before, I returned mine the day after, when I couldn't get my iStat to show GPU Die temps below 100º C while running World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2 at 1440p resolution. I'm telling you what *my* experience was running this.

And as far as aggri1's comment: http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/28/apple-class-action-lawsuit-2011-macbook-pro-gpu-graphics-issues/