Questions about returning iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Qinetic, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Qinetic macrumors member

I want to exchange my phone for one from a "newer batch" but for some reason they don't allow me to exchange it then how can I return it and rebuy it?

Will I be able to buy it again for $200?

Will I be able to get my same number back?

Pretty sure I had other questions but I can't remember them now.

2. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

Where did you buy your phone? Resellers are not waiving the restocking fee. If you return the phone and cancel your contract, you will be able to purchase again for the discounted price. It may take a few days for AT&T to reset/delete your account. But if you have a defective phone, Apple should have no issue replacing it for you.

3. cperchard macrumors 6502a

u do know they aren't making the newer batch any differently right?

4. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I believed the same thing. So, I kept my original day one (release day) iPhone 4.

Mine had _all_ the problems.
    • touching the lower left of the antenna...
    • proximity sensor
    • yellow spots on display
    • blah, blah, blah
    So I kept it till just a few days ago.

Then I heard a very credible rumor

So I returned to the store and was immediately given a new one that did _not_ come out of a plain black box, as has been reported here, but rather a new one in a new sealed retail box just like new customers are given.

Yes, you guessed it, this iPhone 4 is stellar!

5. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

Do you work for Apple?

6. Qinetic thread starter macrumors member

This is really good to hear. I'm hoping my situation turns out the same!

I purchased it at an Apple store on the 25th. Is there some approach I should take when first coming into the store? I was thinking I would ask for a replacement first because of the issues, but I also considered demanding a return right away and I'm guessing they'd offer a replacement.

7. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

The approach I take when seeking a replacement is to be extra courteous, and pleasant. Think about it, they deal with unhappy people all day long. When faced with someone pleasant and courteous they usually will try hard to work with you.*

Avoid the reception issue, they've really been beat up on that one. Simply say that overall, you're unhappy, but would like to try again. That way you've not mentioned any specific reason they can use to disqualify you.*

Let them ask specific questions. I've found this approach works ideally.*

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

He might not be, but given the time needed to identify the problem(s), affect a solution, test the solution and then implement said soluition is such that its highly unlikely that apple is able to do this after only a few weeks.

Besides, apple/foxconn is not about to stop production to make changes, they're going flat out trying to keep up with demand.

9. jasondono macrumors member

I'm planning on returning my phone to Apple next week. I called AT&T to try to deactivate my iphone 4 and reactivate my 3GS. He said I will need a new sim card to reactivate the 3GS and they cost $30. He says that Apple may give me a sim card when I return the iP4. Very annoying.

10. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

then you got lucky, has nothing to do with changes being made in the phone

11. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

I don't think they changed much, just think it's luck of the draw.... I had to return mine TWO times to get one I liked.

Hell I still my actually return it, and buy a white phone, if they release anytime in July (which I doubt).

But that being said, I'm on my third black one, and it seem to be going strong... my first had battery issues, my second had overheating issues... so I think it's literally just random dumb luck.... as my other 5 I have on my accounts all work perfectly... was just mine with any issues.

12. BobHail macrumors 6502a

13. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Same or similar for me:

1st one I purchased on Release day had all the bugs and problems, Apple would not exchange it, so I returned it, however I did forget I also did a pre-order from Best Buy. So the next day BB called me and I decided to go for it, and I have to say there must be different batches of phones, because this one does not have one issue like the others, and my reception is not only better, but I now get good reception where ever my 3GS did, however the first i4, I could not get 3G anywhere I did with my 3GS.

Apple can say all they want, but I have the same case on both phones, but the first one from Apple did not work, then 5 days after I received that one and returned it, I bought one from BB and it works perfect, a little Fishy if you ask me.

14. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

What we are witnessing is history in the making. Apple is beginning to stumble & fall.*

Behind the scenes the various departments are fighting for control. The botched launch of the iPhone 4 is proof. While many are content blaming AT&T for pre-order problems, Apple didn't fare any better.*

To exacerbate Apples public relations debacle, is the win given to the design team by Jobs. In doing so, style prevailed over function & the phone ended up with a nearly useless external antenna. Then to fuel the downward spiral, very little if any testing was done. This put the burden on the unsuspecting public.*

Once in the hands of buyers, Apples problems exploded into what has become day after day of negative press about the phone. The iPhone 4 has even become the butt of late night talk show jokes. What a mess.*

Finally the most absurd arrogant response of all from the almighty himself... "You're holding it wrong"

My, my. A meltdown Apple style... :)

15. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Precisely my point.*

Either Apple is now relying on luck as you so aptly pointed out, or they're scrambling to make rolling production changes to save face.*

Either way it's a loser for Apple.*

16. diabolic macrumors 68000

And they keep selling them as fast as they can make them while the stock price is projected to keep rising. Doesn't sound too bad to me.

17. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I think he means that the there is not hardware change to the unit, however consumer electronics assemblies lines do have several differences from batch to batch. :e.j. Time for silicon or adhesive material to cure, packaging, time of shipment, temperatures of assemblies lines,service on equipment and so on.

18. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I know people in manufacturing and I also worked in a manufacturing warehouse for a period of time. I can tell you right now that companies do make minor changes during the manufacturing process. Sometimes these changes can be something like being even more stringent on QC, sometimes they just tighten up tolerances to make things more solid, sometimes they can change materials being used either by using a different manufacturer or different ingredients/formula/actual materials, sometimes they add things to the materials.

I know I experienced this first-hand. I ordered the BB Tour on launch last July and I had the initial product issues with the trackball being wonky and also a very creaky battery door and device overall. RIM immediately made changes to the trackball to improve the feel and make it smoother and also tightened up clearances to reduce the creaking in the device. I got a replacement Tour about 3 weeks after launch and it was PERFECT. The box had the mark that RIM had put on the new improved stock. Also please note that RIMs changes to the trackball system did not require FCC recertification.

I'm guessing Apple did a combination of the above. They probably increased the QC stringency for one thing. I would also say that they tightened up tolerances in manufacturing. One thing they could do or may have started with the batch in progress is to start putting a coating on the antenna system to prevent some cross attenuation when bridging the gap. We probably wont know till the batch that is expected in 3 weeks start being delivered or when people receieve their white iPhones.