Questions about running with phone with AW2

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Long Run Nick, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Long Run Nick macrumors regular

I am truly an odd one. Having run for over 40 years, never carrying my phone I am curious if the Nike + app will respond to "hey Siri" commands like pause the run/resume the run/ stop the run. Also, using the phone does the watch reflect GPS from the phone or from the watch, or are they both the same? Will the battery drain be less on my watch running with a phone?
    Thanks for your responses. Nick.
    Oh, am I correct in having read that those with the Nike+ edition that the watch will respond to start,pause stop runs w/o your phone being present? Again, thanks.

2. consultant_on_journey macrumors regular

Yes, nike edition responds to the special siri commands without an iphone.

3. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Can't answer the question about using Siri, but I can answer the one about the GPS with/widout the phone.

The normal set-up is that the phone's GPS is used if the phone is present. The watch's GPS won't be active. So battery life will improve. There was a review of the watch where the guy ran with and without the phone and the battery savings on the watch was noticable. I'll try to find that link/post.

I would assume that the GPS on both the phone and watch are equally accurate, but I would imagine that the phone would get a signal much quicker than the watch alone, due to being able to use the cell towers.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Could you describe your testing on this?

My personal results in testing were:
    • phone in airplane mode and watch on my home wifi, siri commands worked.
    • on a run with phone back at home and no wifi, watch displayed a message stating siri required an internet connection to function.

5. consultant_on_journey macrumors regular

You have nike edition?

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

The phone may have the advantage of using wifi lookup positioning via its Internet connection, but any "cell tower" advantage is moot if a reasonably current ephemeris is cached on the watch.

The Garmin watches I've had which use/used a cached ephemeris have typically achieved GPS lock within seconds. My AW2 unfortunately doesn't provide any indicator of GPS lock, but in use it seems to be doing something similar. With no change to routine(*) from when I was using Garmin exclusively, the AW2 tracks so far have apprpriate starting points. The tracks would make it clear if lock hadn't been achieved.

(*) with the garmin watches, I'd start the activity and let the watch get gps lock and auto-pause while I did a few quick stretches before I started out. I do the same with the AW2, excepting that I have to manually pause it after starting, as it seems autopause doesn't work until after you've actually covered some distance or something.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2016 ---
    Yes. Using NRC without phone.

7. Long Run Nick thread starter macrumors regular

Deeddawg, I think the point may be, if you have the Nike +edition the Siri thing works, whereas folks like me with the AW2, it doesn't. Does that make any sense. I like the verbal command thing that I just ordered a phone arm band and will break with tradition and try running with a phone. Mostly retired, I don't get that many calls/ emails, which had me leaving my phone at home. I ran to get away from all that stuff. Nick

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Well, with my Nike edition, the Siri didn't work when I had no network connectivity (i.e. away from home), so that pretty much torpedoed any utility from the function for me for outdoor runs.